unplug the comp for better launch?

qmtgp

i just read the sticky about the differneces between the na and turbo engines, and it said somthing about unpluging the computer to reduce the lag? can somone tell me how to do that cause i would sure like to know. and i could have used that at the track.

Guest TurboSedan

unplugging the ECM controlled wastegate will give you max boost and it will spool up as fast as possible. very very dangerous....i wouldn't recommend doing that. some guys are getting away with it at high elevation, but they still bleed off some of the pressure (or else you'd hit fuel cut). i myself don't have the balls to try it. you could go with a MBC like i am using that essentially does the same thing...it will spool up MUCH FASTER but you can set your maximum boost level with that to avoid engine damage or hitting fuel cut. they are cheap and very easy to adjust. although if you have an automatic i still wouldn't recommend it. maybe track only.

Guest TurboSedan
where is it at?

BOV7.jpg

MBC mounts between the fitting on the compressor outlet and the wastegate can. you will need a boost gauge to adjust it. a narrow band A/F gauge would be good too.

Sure, but if you have an automatic tranny you lose all the saftey controls that the stock boost controller uses. So unless your looking for a reason to kill your 4T60, I'd refrain from doing it.

Guest TurboSedan
lol i meant the ecm, a a/f guage is just a light show they dont work, you need a wide band 02 to do any tuning. so if i get a mbc i can just turn the boost up?

the ECM? why?

an A/F gauge is useless when it comes to tuning, sure. but it will tell you when you start leaning out as you turn up the boost. i wouldn't add a MBC and start turning up the boost without one.

I've got a AFR gauge on my turbo Capri. Sure, its a light show when the ECU is in closed loop but it does it's job when you are under load. If you have it floored and it migrates into the lean region you've got a problem. Dont put narrowband down unless you've used one.

Sure, but if you have an automatic tranny you lose all the saftey controls that the stock boost controller uses. So unless your looking for a reason to kill your 4T60, I'd refrain from doing it.

yeah it's an auto :( , but my tranny is very well built so i guess i'm not to worried about it,

"unplug the computer from controlling the boost and tire smoke in less than a second"

"unplugging the ECM controlled wastegate will give you max boost and it will spool up as fast as possible"

is it where the 2 vacume lines are goin to the wastgate actuater and the one for the boost guage? cause that's what i seen when i put on my talon 1g bov last night.