I'm getting a HUD and need to paint the dashpad.............

AWeb80

How do I prep the HUD dashpad in order to paint.

It is a charcoal color and my interior is light grey.

what type of paint shold I use and how do I go about getting the best match?

Tell me everything so that I do it right.

TIA.

Wouldn't charcoal match with any shade of grey??

Any pics of your interior?

Anyways as for prep- I'd use a really strong solvent, scrub the shit out of it to make sure any trace of armorall is gone (silicone will cause fisheyes in paint).

i wouldnt bother painting it that would look good two tone dude... they are not that far off... mount it if you can and get a pic and let us see how it looks but i think that will look good

Congratulations on finding the parts required to complete your HUD installation. I am also in the process of trying to add HUD to my car - a 1995 Cutlass - and I am wondering if you can help me with something.

Looking at the photo you posted of the dash pad with opening for HUD projector, it appears to be pretty much the same as the non HUD pad in terms of its shape and the height of the bulge. Could you post a picture of the underside of the HUD pad and also provide a description of any other differences you can see.

It is my hope that I can adapt a non HUD dash pad from a Grand Prix to work on my 1995 Cutlass Dash.

Also, would you be so kind as to take a piece of paper / tissue paper large enough to create a rubbing / stencil / impression of the openings for the HUD and defroster vents so I could transfer the opening to the correct location on the non HUD pad I have???? I would provide an address for you to mail it to.

Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Congratulations on finding the parts required to complete your HUD installation. I am also in the process of trying to add HUD to my car - a 1995 Cutlass - and I am wondering if you can help me with something.

Looking at the photo you posted of the dash pad with opening for HUD projector, it appears to be pretty much the same as the non HUD pad in terms of its shape and the height of the bulge. Could you post a picture of the underside of the HUD pad and also provide a description of any other differences you can see.

It is my hope that I can adapt a non HUD dash pad from a Grand Prix to work on my 1995 Cutlass Dash.

Also, would you be so kind as to take a piece of paper / tissue paper large enough to create a rubbing / stencil / impression of the openings for the HUD and defroster vents so I could transfer the opening to the correct location on the non HUD pad I have???? I would provide an address for you to mail it to.

Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Unless the CS has much more room underneath the dash pad, it will not work. The HUD/non HUD pads do look almost identical, but the HUD portion of it is raised to allow for the unit to sit underneath it. You have to chop a LOT out of it just for it to sit down on the dash... but by then, the whole HUD unit is exposed and it looks horrid.

dhs1223,

They made the HUD in CS's in 1995, both the 2 dr and 4dr have the same dash. and the dash is the same in 96. Grab your 96 owners manual and look up HUD, my 95 manual shows "use and care" yours may too. plus it may show pics as well as switch placement like mine does.

(You don't have to change the dash!)

I am interested in the same project, but haven't seen one, though I'm not searching hard for one either. (also intested in finding the flat 94 CS type HUD too btw)

Hey... QUESTION: would a GP unit be red and a CS unit blueish?

dhs1223,

They made the HUD in CS's in 1995, both the 2 dr and 4dr have the same dash. and the dash is the same in 96. Grab your 96 owners manual and look up HUD, my 95 manual shows "use and care" yours may too. plus it may show pics as well as switch placement like mine does.

I am interested in the same project, but haven't seen one, though I'm not searching hard for one either. (also intested in finding the flat 94 CS type HUD too btw)

FWIW: the hud is listed in your owners manual but they never put them in the cars!...there is no HUD in 95-97 cutlass supremes... :wink:

dhs1223,

FWIW: the hud is listed in your owners manual but they never put them in the cars!...there is no HUD in 95-97 cutlass supremes... :wink:

Right on

dhs1223,

No they're all green.

I swear I saw one in a 2 door 95 with a 3.4 which wouldn't crank at an auction.:?: but that was 4 years ago...

And i know i once saw a pic of one (yes on the 95/6 dash, not the 94 type dash)... perhaps a prototype?

But the space to install should still exist, the dashboard and instrument cluster in a 95/96 CS is dimensionally the same as the 94+GP and regal and 95+lumina of the same era. (in fact I tested a regal and a GP cluster in my CS!) so the space clearance should be the same.

At least find a 95 manual to see how they would have been if they ever had been, the control switches would be mounted on the same panel as the headlight switch!

I know that this has been discussed before in another thread but here is the deal. They were NOT available after 1994. Even the GM parts catalog lists them for 1995 however, after tracking this down with the local parts guy, there were a few 1994's with the 94 interior style and basically they were called 95's and these were the only CS's in 1995 available with the HUD. I believe he said that it was basically that their VIN plates were built with the 1994 model year digit in the number but at the dealership they were advertised as 95's on the window sticker. A Dash Pad does not exist for a 95 CS with HUD.

I swear I saw one in a 2 door 95 with a 3.4 which wouldn't crank at an auction.:?: but that was 4 years ago...

And i know i once saw a pic of one (yes on the 95/6 dash, not the 94 type dash)... perhaps a prototype?

But the space to install should still exist, the dashboard and instrument cluster in a 95/96 CS is dimensionally the same as the 94+GP and regal and 95+lumina of the same era. (in fact I tested a regal and a GP cluster in my CS!) so the space clearance should be the same.

At least find a 95 manual to see how they would have been if they ever had been, the control switches would be mounted on the same panel as the headlight switch!

well, i coulda told you the cluster would work...i'm using a GP cluster in my cutlass...however, i believe we were talkin about dashpads here...

...however, i would like to know if the gp dashpad will work, cause i'd be interested in putting HUD in the cutty if its possible,,, :twisted: