Strut bearing plate

CutlassSL91

OK, the disc shaped thing that the spring sits on, which i think is called the strut bearing plate, is catching on my car, causing an annoying steering clunk that you can actually feel when making sharper left hand turns. My question is, could this bad plate also cause the steering to be stiffer than normal?

The strut bearings for me were $79 CDN, which should be around $60 some USD

You should seriously think about going with bigger rotors at the front if you will be taking the whole assembly apart.

http://www.w-body.com/upgrades/brakes-rotors.html

RH Knuckle (includes strut), GM Part #22064590, retail price $234.12.

LH Knuckle (includes strut), GM Part #22064591, retail price $234.12.

11.25" rotors (2 required), GM Part #18021389, retail price $134.64/each.

Or go with used parts.

Double check with someone locally, GM issued a TSB on this problem a few years ago, if you are looking for a cheap fix, the TSB mentions simply installing a jounce washer to correct this due to improper spacing between the knuckle/strut assembly and the bearing plate. Sorry can't recall TSB number, if I can find it I'll let you know. I had mo local GM dealer do this to my Cutty and it fixed the noise perenantly. Not sure how it happens and it doesn't happen to all of them. My boss at Delphi (Worked in struts at the time the W was in production) happened to mention this to me BEFORE I put a new bearing plate on mine. The jounce is only like a few dollars and available from your local parts guy.

Here is the TSB number:

53-33-07B JUL 98

This is a link to all TSB's and recalls at the autozone website:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/43/944320eT.html

Most times if you just take the TSB # to your local dealer they will print it out for you. At least this has been my experience.