The big conversion....

Guest RedCutlassSL

Why did you ask? Wanna a mid 90's 442, huh? Honestly... a.) a new car b.) a whopping amount of cash and c.) the blind 'tunnel' effect of not seeing what else is out there will get this project done.

But, if you do such a thing, you'll need to:

- find a tranny that give vertical power for a driveshaft on a transverse motor

- or turn the motor (dealing with mounting / clearance issues) and find a longated tranny

- and once tranny is located: firewall, floarboard, gas tank, suspension, pretty much everything underneath the car needs to be updated and changed

- or even better! Turn your interior around, rig up some new connections / linkage and you've got a rear engine / rear wheel drive vehicle... that will keep you busy... see the point?

- RedFox340

There is a guy out there on the internet somewhere that did just that to a 88-91 Cutlass Supreme Coupe. However when he was done the only thing original was the body and interior. He basicly put the entire car on a new chasis to make the new powerplant (V8) and RWD work. So, yes it can be done, but well......

Jason

I'm just really bored. So out of boredom, what would it take to go from FWD to RWD?

Ask NASCAR. Their cars are shells about the same size and shape as CS coupes, on top of a RWD tube frame.

There might be kits available to do this since the NHRA Pro Stock class used Cutlass Supreme bodies awhile ago.

Maybe something for amateurs to do a conversion.

Ive seen a kit for converting a Dodge Daytona to rwd before.

You might also be able to cut up a Camaro and use the parts from it, but that would require alot of work and money.

Guest RedCutlassSL

I've seen that cutlass dragster. The only thing stock is the body and interior. In a way then, its not a cutlass. Just like in NASCAR, its not a monte carlo.

Since money is obviously not a concern at this point, I think it would be cooler to go AWD. Take a drivetrain from a 6000STE AWD, build it to handle the power, then bolt up an L67 or LG5. Yeah, power and traction!

Jason

I have the other shots too but I dont feel like uploading them

I'm just replying to the banner in your sig line with the Impala. Although as true as that saying is on the banner, you should check out this new Impala...packing a LS1 with 371HP and 382lb-ft@4600.

Only thing that sucks is that its FWD.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0303GMH_homerun/

Aaron

I'm just really bored. So out of boredom, what would it take to go from FWD to RWD?

A 6-digit income!

You'd need to cut and weld in a tunnel for the RWD tranny, relocate or modify the fuel tank (or use a fuel cell in the trunk), cut a tunnel for the driveshaft if you're using a live rear axle (maybe not required if you're using an IRS out of a Corvette). Custom motor mounts, brackets, modify the firewall, modify the dash to accept the modifications you made for the firewall. More bracing for the frame to reduce torsional flex from the driveshaft... lots more than that to it, but it's a huge job.

I don't think the AWD setup from the 6000STE is very good, who wants a 3-speed auto? If money were no object, I'd try using the AWD setup out of an Asstek/Rendezvous. That's what they used on the GP G8.

If money were no object, I'd try using the AWD setup out of an Asstek/Rendezvous. That's what they used on the GP G8.

Wow, I didnt know that was what they used. Thats interesting. Man, they should have made the G8. I love that concept. And, since the drivetrain and motor (LS1) are already in mass production, I dont see why that didnt make it to production

Robby

I know I know!!! THATS THE ONE I WANT TO SEE PRODUCED!!!!!!! Not the one theyre actually doing!

My bad. I didn't know if you had seen that Impala or not. :?

Aaron