Opinions on this tire?

19Cutlass94

Ive been searching for a good winter tire for my car and I came across this....

http://www.dunloptire.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Graspic+DS-2&mrktarea=Winter

Basically I need new tires because not only are they bald, all of them have some sort of air problemm whether it be a hole in the tire, or the valve stem I duno but they all are leaking air. I dont really feel like filing them up very week.

But basically looking for a good winter tire for my car. Has anybody tried Dunlops, (maybe even this tire?) if so, how good are they? Any recommendations for a good winter tire?

But do they come in the size I need? 215/60R/16 -- basically stock size on my car. I know some tires dont come in certain sizes. I guess I forgot the mention what size the tire was

the Winterforce tires are good too. I believe BFGoodrich makes Winterforces.... The Michelin ones ( dont remember the model name off the top of my head) are pure crap and are real expensive.

Dunlops have good rating usually. I don't know much about these but my opinion is based on the many Dunlops that I have owned and still own. Free bump, does anyone know anything about the Dunlops in question?

I will see if my guys at work (I work at a wholesale tire place) have any experience/reviews on Monday, and I'll get back to ya if no one else comes up with anything.

But do they come in the size I need? 215/60R/16 -- basically stock size on my car. I know some tires dont come in certain sizes. I guess I forgot the mention what size the tire was

I got em in 225/60 which should be your stock size. Got em from discounttire.com.

I got em in 225/60 which should be your stock size. Got em from discounttire.com.

Wider the tire, the worse they are in snow. Find something in 215 ( stock size BTW )...

Hell if you really want good snow traction, buy my old 15" CS rims and pop some 205s on there. Tires will be cheaper for em too. :wink:

haha I cant imagine it would handle all too good with those 15" rims on there :lol:

Does this sound like a decent deal......?

Getting four new tires, mounted and balanced, with all new valve stems for $300, maybe $350?

Well theres this tire place by me called kiskis that does tires and all kinda of stuff. My dad is pretty good friends with them since he works at a dealership thats basically down the road from there, so he buys atlot of stuff there (mainly tire stuff) But thats the place Id be getting everything done from.

haha I cant imagine it would handle all too good with those 15" rims on there :lol:

205/70/15 (old rims from my 88 GP) ;) my winter tires.. same size tires as on our minivan. Doesn't handle THAT bad really...

Picture001.jpg

c-bad, you took your wheels off. :( damn winter.

A guy at work has them on his 02 Impala for the winter. He says those Dunlops are good. Never had any problems; would recommend them. So if you choose them, you have a tried and true opinion.

Wider the tire, the worse they are in snow. Find something in 215 ( stock size BTW )...

The first part is true. If you can find tires in 215, your better.

Now as saying 215 being stock, thats not true. Different wheel combos got different tires stock. For example, the GP 5 spokes came with 225 stock, the 16" crosslaces are 225 stock, the Z34's and probably euro 3.4's came with 225 stock, and I'm sure many cutlass's and regals came with 225 stock as well.

my cutty handles just fine with 15's on her. The bridgestone turanza tires i bought a couple years ago have been holding up well too. I know you can get them in 16's too, so I highly reccomend them.

I know for a fact that his car came with the sawblades from the factory...therefore getting the 215s stock. :wink:

Ah..... well, then that is very true then.

Yep, good ole sawblades. Ill never get good pictures of those rims because there pitted with brake dust. Ive tried for years to clean them, but they wont.

Honestly I dont even know if I could go any wider for a tire because the tire is within an inch of the trailing arms. But every site that has that look up your tire size thingy says 215/60R/16.

But I deffinatly need tires soon, I put the old ones back on friday, turns out all of them were flat :? and I didnt have an air pump or any sort. Plus they all have air leaks somewhere.

I have 225/60-16 on my sawblades with no rubbing at all. IIRC, Taylor has 235/50s on his 'blades.

Backspace is everything. :wink: When I tried fitting Aurora rims on my Cutlass...they rubbed the trailing arms like all hell...even with spacers.

10mm difference. It's hard to tell, but when I park my 94 with 225s next to my grandpa's 95 with 215s, you can see the difference pretty clearly. Every little helps for cornering too. On one turn tonight I must have pulled at least 3.54 Gs...my wife's head went through the passenger window.

I mean I try not to take corners really fast, because I have a bad wheel bearing, but when I got the RSM racing STB's I had to try them out. Even though the back end is still a little loose from no rear swaybay. I could feel the tires griping the road. Ive taken 90 degree turns at 50+mph. I cant get my car sideways on dry pavement.

But really, how much can you tell that theres a 10mm difference while driving?

But tomorrow Im going to measure how much space I have between the tire and the trailing arm. So how much I have to play with, although Ill prolly end up going 215 because its for winter.

Going from shitty 205/70/15s, to 225/60/16s, there is a huge difference. Probobly not so much between the 215 and 225, but I figured I'd spend the extra few dollars a tire to get the wider ones...for looks mainly.

3pt1lumina, how long has your friend had those on his car, like miles? and Im guess he drives it with those tires on when its warm out too? Because I got those tires today, and they seem ratehr soft rubber. This one guy I was gonna buy them from was like dont drive them when its warm out, the tread will just disappear, it wears that fast........