Tilt steering question

roomylumy

I had my steering wheel off the other day to change my indicator switch, and I discovered that the part on the column where the notches are for the tilt steering adjustment is broken. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how you would go about changing that. It looks like an independant unit, but I can't see any bolts or screws attaching it. Just two threaded holes on the sides. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

What year is your car?

Regardless, if I were you I'd just grab up a "new" column from the boneyard. Seeing as you'd need to remove the column from the car to press out the pins that hold the tilt mechanism together, it would be cheaper and easier to just swap the entire column out...

It's not hard at all. There are 2 bolts securing the column to the dash, and one that secures the end of the tube to the firewall. You'll have to peel back the boot at the firewall so you can unbolt the coupler from the "ISS" (intermediate steering shaft) then remove the 3 other bolts and it's out (well, after you unplug all of the electrical connections that is...)