Blown sub(s)??

19Cutlass94

Today I wasdriving home from work, when I noticed something was rattling like fuck. It didnt seem to have much bas either so I figured something was up. I took the subs out and on one of em, the negative came loose. Explains the rattling and the loss of bass. But the thing is, I hooked everything bad up, and now one that one sub where the negative came undone, everytime I turn it on or off, the sub pops to like full excursion both ways, in and out. I tried a couple things, but it was the same result. Plus this sub does it evenwhere I turn the vlume from 00 to 01 it pops like that. And now it sounds like shit. Im pretty sure its a blown sub, if not both.

Can anyone help me on this?

I dunno if it was blown would it still move to full excersion like that?? Usually the voice coil will keep moving but the woofer won't because of a break in the voice coil itself...

I dunno though...if it is popping like that, seems something else might be wrong wiring wise??

Na, all the wires are correct. I have a vented box, so the sub really never moved much to begin with. Maybe the voice coil is broken I duno. Ive never seen a sub move that far. like it just pops, full excersion. Ive checked the wires several times, I know its thats right. ALl my settings on my amp are correct also.

You have a multimeter? If so, ohm it out.

I just tried, I couldnt get an accurate reading on either one. One bounced around from 3.4-3.6 ohms and the other bounced around from 3.4-4.1 ohms

I just tried, I couldnt get an accurate reading on either one. One bounced around from 3.4-3.6 ohms and the other bounced around from 3.4-4.1 ohms

Sounds about right.

Do what CBAD said, push in on it. Although not recommended, feel for friction.

Otherwise, I'd take the sub out. Take a nice wiff of air when you take it out. If it smells burnt, you know the drill..

If the wire fell off on it's own, then it was not soldered on the terminal?

This is the best way, unless you have platinum or gold plated push terminals.

Sounds about right.

Do what CBAD said, push in on it. Although not recommended, feel for friction.

Otherwise, I'd take the sub out. Take a nice wiff of air when you take it out. If it smells burnt, you know the drill..

Well with the vented box, I think the smell was get out of so I really wouldnt smell anything. After class here in about 30 mins, Im gonna go check it out, try that, and go back to where I got it and say gimme some new subs :lol:

But what should the resistance be for SVC 4 ohm subs. 4ohms? :lol:

yeah thats where I did test them, at the subs. I guess if they were blown, it would be down under 3 ohms. but it turns out, its not the subs.

I brought it down to my bud at circuit city (I knwo many of you do not like this place, but hes good and knows what hes doing) And we figured out that it was actually the deck that was messed up. It was the sub pre-outs that were causing it. We tried changing the RCAs and it didnt help, we unplugged the RCAs and it stopped. Then we tried moving the RCAs to a different spot on the deck, thats sure enough, thats what it was.

Now I have to drive for about 5-10days while that deck gets shipped out for service. Good thing I got that muffler on my car so I can listen to something :lol:

Hell, I couldn't drive if I didn't have my stereo on. About the only time it's off is when I'm listening to the car after working on it. Once it checks out...up goes the stereo. LOL

Damn.....19Cutlass94! You know what I was thinking...lol

Grab the Wallet..lol

But its good to hear all will be well :D

But seriouslly.....if a blown voice coil is ever a thought just take a 9 volt battery and attach it to the coil leads and see if it moves. if it does you are usually fine.

And guys, NEVER PUSH IN A SUBS CONE!! You can actually cause more damage doing that. Some subwoofers have such low tollerances for linear movement that the slightest push in the wrong direction can actually scrape the varnish off of the voice coils.

I never knew pushing in on them was such a bad thing to do! I guess you learn something new everyday! :)

LOL shit I was both of em were blown so I can get some brand spankin new subs! :lol:

but thats allright, there still in good shape. And hopfully Ill have those subs, box and amp sold soon so ican purchase my new set up :wink:

dude, i find it hard to blow speakers i'm pushing like 1000 watts to two JL W3's right now and they haven't blown yet the only thing i've done is rattle the damn dust caps off of 'em :lol:

lol well hopefully with my new setup, Ill be into the 140.0+db range with will be loud enough for me. My current setup is pretty damn loud and sometimes a little too much.

But hey, if its too loud, your too old! so TURN IT UP!!!!!!! :lol:

Ok well I got my deck back, and it still pops the one sub. This is really starting to get to me now. Im sending the amp back in hopes of either getting another one (for free of course) or having them fix it and hopefully it will work like its suppose to.

But I know now that its the amp because when I switch the leads (stereo) from the left to the right and the right to the left ( I think you guys know what Im trying to say lol) the other sub pops. so one of the channels in the amp is fucked.