Wheel Lug/Stud covers?

MaD

I have stock 14 inch steel wheels and I hate wheel covers.

I actually prefer the look of the bare, vented steel over some cheap ABS wheel cover laced with chrome.

...however, this isn't the best time of year to drive around with exposed lugs, so I was wondering if there was some type of cover than could protect each individual lug nut and wheel stud?

kinda like how the wImpala police package wheels are, they just have the steel wheels, a hub cover, some chrome lugs and a fresh chrome ring .

is there a way I can get this setup with my stock steel wheels?

and I know I can just buy chrome lugs, but I still want to protect the part of the stud that the lug nut won't cover, so if I can just get something to go over the whole thing, that'd be better...

i-1.JPG

....and BTW, would that work for my wheels? what size are those impala wheels?

-MaD-

They should work, FWD Impala has the same bolt pattern.

You could also talk to some Amish people about getting little chrome domes to put over the hub & lugs! The Amish people here drive black first-gen 4-dr Lumina's and Grand Prix's with black steel wheels and those chrome dome hubcaps.

I'll have to get a picture of one sometime.

Yeah, it's pretty weird. The Amish still drive their horse & buggies but only in the country and only on the shoulder of the highways.

When then come to the city, they drive black cars with black steel wheels and chrome dome hubcaps that cover only the hub and lugs. I've seen 4dr Lumina, 4dr Grand Prix (all first-gen W-body), Chevy Astro, and a 97+ Ford F-150 ext cab done up that way. I wonder if it's written in some kind of Amish rule book that if they're going to drive a car, it must be a black one with chrome dome hubcaps. There must be some kind of Amish supply store for those things.

I see them most often eating at McDonald's, of all places!

so impala wheels have the same bolt pattern, but the reason I can't use the actual wheels is why? the offset?

So i can buy that police package wheel trim kit? that'd be pretty dope..

and since when do amish drive?

...does it matter about the size? i think the impala cop wheels are 16 inch, mine are only 14, i don't know if that'll interfere with the center part of the wheel?

thanks for the info, if these work, I'ma buy em :)

-MaD-

I just looked more closely at that trim kit, and I don't think you'll have any way to attach the caps. It looks like they attach via 3 bolts through holes in the wheels. I guess you could always drill the 3 holes for the bolts to go through!

Yeah, the Amish drive around here, but they don't just drive any car. Has to be black with those chrome hubcaps. They go to McDonald's and I've even seen a young Amish couple at the local nature trails. When my parents had their bathrooms remodeled, one of the workers was an Amish guy. They seem to be pretty liberal around here. Some people say that's because they're Mennonites and not Amish, but I looked it up once and Mennonites ARE Amish.

I remember visiting PA Amish / Mennonite country in the '70s, and they drove black Dodge Dart / Plymouth Valiant sedans with the bumpers painted black. In this case, they were actually ahead of their time, bumpers were chrome back then, black OEM bumpers weren't common till the '80s!

how is this possible...i thought amish people cant use anything with electricity. if thats the case shouldnt they be dirving something deisel, that doesnt use a battery to start, and has no sensors or engine computer? hmmmm

Beats me! The FAQs online say they can't own cars, but can ride in them. This is because they see automobiles as a useful tool, but to own one would cause inequality in the community. They're also not against electricity, but don't want to use power lines because that would link them to the outside world. One FAQ said they sometimes use generators to power electrical machinery. I'm almost sure the cars I see the Amish riding in locally are also owned by them because the drivers are Amish, and all the cars are black with the same wheels and hubcaps. The FAQs I've found online are usually about the Pennsylvania Amish, maybe the Missouri Amish are different. On the other hand, since the cars are all made to look the same, it could be the local Amish got around that rule by all pitching in and sharing a pool of cars amongst the entire community. Maybe they have to check 'em in and out like library books and have rules on how long each family can use one. I dunno, just a guess. I don't know any Amish to ask. :)

Its a certian sect of Menanites that drive the cars. They are almost indistinguashable from the amish. I knew some menonites that drove brand new saabs and pickups around, had a big screen TV, etc. And i knew some Menonites that drove eh buggies. The reason teh cars they are driving have the chrome centercovers and etc is that they are driving fleet type vehicles. Kinda like what cops or governemt p[eople drive. they are cheaper and have NO options, so it fits tehm.

excuse the shitty typing, i been out drinking and shooting pool