Is there a supercharger for a a 3.4L dohc out there?

AGE_

Sorry man, nothing out there. There's not a lot of stuff available for the 3.4L DOHC. Your best bet, although it will be VERY difficult and COMPLETELY custom, is for a turbo. Just go with the usual, bolt on stuff for now and you should have a pretty quick car. OR......L67 swaps are very popular.....

Robby

www.rsmracing.com has one made...e-mail them about it

Lolumz34,

Wasn't that just for the 2.8L / 3.1L / 3100 SFI and the 3400 SFI? And I just checked... If the 3.4L DOHC supercharger is out, CRAP! Why didn't anybody tell me? I'm all over that then if RSM released it...

:!: Hopefully RedZMonte will read this and invite me to do a turbocharger project instead on the Cutlass... what do you think RedZ? (tanget) How's the Monte Carlo coming along? Haven't heard from much about your current status. :!:

- RedFox340

I checked RSM before making that post and they did not have one for the 3.4L DOHC. They did have it for 2.8/3.1/3100.

Robby

P.S. Sorry about not explaining the L67, its just a habit........

RSM used to offer the supercharger for the DOHC.. and it was always 'scheduled for release'... but actually never did get released. They were waiting on someone to order it so they could complete the kit..

Even if you do have it, your gonna get raped for price. I'd wait for someone in the DOHC community to successfully turbo their 3.4, as I'm sure it's not too far around the corner.

How reliable is the 3.4L Twin Cam itself? I heard horror stories about that engine. I know the usual problems that go like the alternator and such, but I don't consider that an actual part of the engine itself. I know that since it has more moving pieces than a 3800 Series II, there are more things that are prone to failure. However, I'd like to know how reliable the engine is on it's own, and how strong it actually is. After all, bolting on a turbo kit on the 3.4L Twin Cam would definitely put quite a bit of stress on it.

How reliable is the 3.4L Twin Cam itself? I heard horror stories about that engine. I know the usual problems that go like the alternator and such, but I don't consider that an actual part of the engine itself. I know that since it has more moving pieces than a 3800 Series II, there are more things that are prone to failure. However, I'd like to know how reliable the engine is on it's own, and how strong it actually is. After all, bolting on a turbo kit on the 3.4L Twin Cam would definitely put quite a bit of stress on it.

GranSport,

The DOHC is as reliable as long as you know the service intervals... it's as easy as that. Since it's the same block as the 3.1L, the bottom internals are nearly identical; the DOHC has more 'accessories' on the top side of the motor with the valvetrain and intake design. When I bought the Cutlass two years ago, I thought it was just another engine like my push-rod 2.8L V6 Beretta. WRONG! Some of the biggest overlooked items on the DOHC are the secondary timing belt, intake manifold gasket, power steering pump and the oil drive pump assembly o-ring.

The kevlar timing belt lasts just a tad longer than a serpentine belt, but not by much. If the timing belt snaps while the car is running you could possibly bend a valve (engines 1991 - 1994) and surely snap / ruin the entire valvetrain (late model 1994+). Many snap due to age, and other rot from a leaking power steering pump. Watch levels on fluids and keep a clean engine bay...

The o-ring is just plain age. After hot roddin' the DOHC so many times, you'll find yourself placing newspapers and tin pans underneath the car to collect the oil. Very deep repair, but not much of a part. Couple dollars invested in a new ring and some high temp RTV silicone will get you back on the road in no time.

As for the intake gasket, that's been a GM recall for years. The expanding of metals and heat transfer basically dry out and crack the gasket, letting in un-filtered air produced high idle RPM's while in Park, Neutral, and in gear (compared to "power braking" a vehicle).

Otherwise, I'm happy. It's been a great learning experience for me and I wouldn't give it up just yet. Maybe a few alternators and hot temp days I'll change my mind! Nah! :lol: Want to try to superchrager / turbocharge it first before I get rid of it; I'm an engineer at school. I need to take advantage of the MIL!

- RedFox340

damn NEWBIE, i just posted this on the powertrain section, no wonder i aint getting a response!!!

Subj: Re: 3.4 DOHC Supercharger

Date: 2/25/2003 1:09:57 PM Central Standard Time

To: Grandprix93gtp@aol.com

CC: nelson@rsmracing.com

Sent from the Internet (Details)

The SC kit for your car is $US4900.00 and gives you 100 HP gain at 8 PSI.

Sincerely

Zsolt Szabo

Marketing Manager

RSM Racing Inc

----- Original Message -----

To: zsolt@rsmracing.com

Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 11:07 PM

Subject: Re: 3.4 DOHC Supercharger

My car is a 93 grand prix with the 3.4L Twin Dual Cam (or DOHC)

Well...if I had the money...

I would love to have a gramma car that everyone looks down on...then at the lights...there is nothing but dust...

And to do that with everyone...hee hee

supercharger meets Mr. LQ1, allot of fun......

and then..... the slushbox blows up nascar style spilling its cherry flavored slushie on the pavement, and mysterous metalic gear looking chunks appear out of no-where......

us LQ1's have enoughf troubles with the tranz blowign out because of out crazy revving capibilitys, not to mention the extra 100 hp at the tip of your toe's......

It would be cool and all, but to much money, and to much shit would break in the prosses.....

just my 2 cents..

later

Joe

and your sol on your last statement......

with a GM tech II scanner, a little know how, and about 10 min i can make my car ignore the MAF, and be a map system.... Im not concirned with that aspect of it.......

Later

Joe