Don't ignore a thump!!

3pt1lumina

It could just be a broken trailering arm.. I knew this was coming as the original one was bent and rusty. I replaced the driver's side one almost 2 years ago and now this one went. I had a garage do the other one because I couldnt' get it off.

Does anyone know A. where I can get one of these things cheap? or maybe high performance. and B. tricks to getting this one off? The car was undercoated so is this going to make my life a living hell??

I'd like to get it all squared away before I put the car away in 2 weeks, so any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!!

may as well get a set from gmpp for a 97-03 gp. like 35 shipped and theyre much better than stock. you should be able to find the pn off of here or cgp. cant think of it off the top of my head.

Best way to get them off is PB blaster and a blow torch.

im kind of afraid to do it witha torch due to my gas leak :oops: but i think i will give that a shot because if i blow the car up, then i can get a real euro lumina or a tgp or something lol.

Part number is 12498649 for GMPP

I bought the set and put the driver's side one on because it snapped when I kissed a curb in the winter and never realized what happened until this summer. Was a BITCH to get on. My dad ended up having to torch off the front bolt. Rear came off with a lot of effort. I plan to attempt the passenger side one real soon because I'd love to get it on. Might just shop it but that will be expensive.

well I just bought a Moog one for it. My buddy works at a local auto parts store and this one was "defective" as in missing a box and being scratched... I really don't care for $10. I'm going to get the GMPP ones during the winter and do that before spring when I do my exhaust work and struts... I just need the car for 2 more weeks thats it lol.. this couldnt wait til spring?

ill post about updates... now lets see if i can get this bitch off.

Let me know how much trouble you have or little tips you used to get yours off when you get around to doing it. I'd like to make replacing the passenger one as easy as possible.

well, so far I can't get it off. Maybe if I can get it in the air I can. I put the car up on jackstands and I couldn't get a good enough angle to go at it. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and let it sit over night. We're going to try again tonite and see what we can do, and torch the bitch if necessary. That's my only other idea, heat. Damn that leaking gas tank though....that scares me. Anyone have tips for using the torch near a leaking tank?

Ill continue to post w/ updates...hopefully i'll still have a car after the torch :lol:

i did them on my friend's 92 lumi and i had to torch them. there was just no way around it. i had access to air everything and an air hammer def would not cut it. get some GM Goodwrench Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor # 1052627 (aka break-free clp). way better than pb blaster.

Forget the torch.

Just use an air powered cut off tool on the face of the bolt and pound it out. Then pop a stainless bolt in there, and never worry about it again. :wink:

I assume you are having trouble with the front-most one, right?

Forget the torch.

Just use an air powered cut off tool on the face of the bolt and pound it out. Then pop a stainless bolt in there, and never worry about it again. :wink:

I assume you are having trouble with the front-most one, right?

yeah the front one was an absolute bitch. The best way to do this is with heat, no doubt about it. The front I sprayed PB Blaster on and then torched it...and I only had use of a Bernzo-matic (sp?) torch so that kinda slowed me down. All in all, I threw some anti-seize on the bolts and took care of it.. and i didn't blow my car up!!! :D It's a bitch without heat but it really is self explanatory.

hope this helps anyone that needs it 8)

• 3 months later...

Brand new Moog ones go for $33+tax around here. If you're in a pinch, just go to a GOOD autoparts store. Advance and Autozone didn't have them so I had to go through a place called "Parts Plus" (don't know if they're nationwide or not??)