ported box?

sniperi311

id like to get a ported box for my sub or subs if i can fit it in my car, ive got two 15s, i got the thunder 8000 25 single 4 ohm if somebody can help me, thanx, not sure how to do links, hope you can just click on them thanx for the help, what does the cu ft or whatever need to be, im tryin to figure it out, thanx

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/Thunder8000Ref.pdf

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/2001Thunder8000Sub.cfm

What car do you have? Becuase those subs require 2.5 cubic feet per sub, tuned to 37Hz. Now fitting a box that is 5 cubic feet into most average trunks....without actually building it in there is very hard to do. I know from personnal expierience that anthing I've tried to fit into my treunk over 3.5 cubes has been a tough expierience.

now if you are looking for a single ported box I can help you with that.

ive got a 93 old cutlass supreme, two door, i thought that it said 2.5, wasnt sure though, i might only put one in, but two is so much better, and yeah im looking for a box any suggestions or anything, im not exactly a carpenter though, i saw some on ebay, but im not sure, any suggestions im open for, thanx for the help greatly appreciated

ive got a 93 old cutlass supreme, two door, i thought that it said 2.5, wasnt sure though, i might only put one in, but two is so much better, and yeah im looking for a box any suggestions or anything, im not exactly a carpenter though, i saw some on ebay, but im not sure, any suggestions im open for, thanx for the help greatly appreciated

The picture of the box/sub in my signature is a single 15 and is 2.3 cubic feet after all displacements tuned to 30HZ. I custom designed it to be easier to fit into the trunk.

And as far as doing it yourself well......I know alot of first time box builders will just pay to have Home Depot cut all the pieces of MDF for the box and all you have to do is assemble and glue it together. Mine cost me arround $30 to build where as the local shop wanted $250 to build it.

I have 1 15 ported in my Lumina, the box is around 5 cu ft, and there would be no way to fit a second sub ported. The box and my amps take up most of the trunk. You could either do 1 15 ported, or 2 sealed. I have seen luminas with 2 15s ported, but the box took up literally the entire trunk, with the subs pointed at the trunk lid, I imagine the rattle was unbearable.

• 1 month later...

Some people perfer ported over sealed. They perfer the loud "boomy" bass over the tight bass that a sealed offers. But I thought about 2 15's ported, thats not gonna happen, so Im stickin with 2 12's ported. Because 2 15's ported would be a custom job that the box would have to be build in the car. Itd be too big to take in and out.

i know, i was wondering if he actually preferred it or just thought he had to have ported like some high school kids think just cause they have a bandpass box theyre badass. no offense either.

Turn the whole car into a bandpass that you tune by rolling the window up and down. I tune my car by sliding the moonroof open.

I have done two cars like this. they got wheelwell sealed enclosures that fire up and roll forward off the glass. Then I tune them for the lowest bass ever with the windows.

To do it my way you gotta be a DIY er and know fiberglass pretty well.

I think you should get 2 12's, theyd fit better (ported or not) and sound much better than 15's IMO

How can you say that? Have you heard every 15 out there? My 15 sounds much better than my 2 twelves did.

I am not talking about a bandpass enclosure in the traditional sense. like the ones you see at stores with the plexiglass faces. I am talking as if your car was an enclosure which you tune the low end bass curve for peak spl by cracking the window a couple inches. sorry if I am being confusing, I hate bandpass boxes almost as much as ported.

if I understand you correctly, you wont be competing at any events since youll have to crack your window to get peak SPL. I duno I guess I just dont understand what your trying to say.

BTW, Id take a ported enclosure any day of the week.

No I don't compete for SPL it is of no real interest to me unless they can tell me how LOW I am hittin. and can they tell me how much blood is coming out of my ears when I fuck up the whole car from box-distorted bass.