TGP Code Size Data

ScotSea

I have heard from several folks that the TGP has a large chip, and more code than others. This is just not true. Just for grins, I took a look at various code sizes for some fairly popular ECMs. Notice that the $88 and $A1 code from 60 degree V6's both have more code that the TGP!

Total CODE size:

$2953 10.33 KB (5155 instructions) Pick Up Code $42 C3 ECM

$3741 13.81 KB (6299 instructions) SyTy Code $58

$40ED 16.23 KB (7418 instructions) AUJP Code $8D

$569F 21.66 KB (9493 instructions) 3100 Flash "E side"

$55C9 21.45 KB (9646 instructions) TGP Code $8F

$5ACE 22.70 KB (10175 instructions) AZTY Code $88

$5D6A 23.35 KB (10462 instructions) BFAF Code $A1

$627C 24.62 KB (10568 instructions) BKLL Code $2E

$628E 24.64 KB (10583 instructions) CMLB Code $23

$6439 25.06 KB (10724 instructions) 3100 Flash "T side"

$80F7 32.24 KB (13815 instructions) BBNT Code $E6

$90E2 36.22 KB (15384 instructions) Caddy SEFI

$AF1E 43.78 KB (18288 instructions) LT1 Flash T side Code $EE

Scot Sealander

Maybe they meant the entires that are individually addressable. The code, instructions and total size may be fatter on other chips, but perhaps there are just more individual entires in the TGP.

I would guess that a DF based chip will have even more instructions since it has the 4T60-E code on it as well.

Can you compare AUSJ with AUBU? That is a 91 3.1 auto vs a 93 3.1 auto.

The DF code is:

Total CODE size: $65BC 25.43 KB (11330 instructions)

What is the code id on those two? (AUSJ - AUBU) If they are '88' or 'A1', those two code sizes are already listed.

The data size is pretty unreliable using the assembler the way I do, as data is essentially EPROM size - code size.

Taking a look at the binaries, one can take a look at where the cal data ends to get an idea how big the cal data portion is. This is not perfect, but will give you an idea of how big the cal data is.

TGP runs '8000' to '8FFF'

'88' runs '8000' to '9189'

'A1' runs '8000' to '90DA'

The TGP cal data is smaller than the other two common 60 deg V6 applications. The thing that complicates that is some of the TGP cal data is dead, and not used, so effectively, it is even smaller than what is indicated here.

Scot Sealander

AUBU is the DF code mask. I can look it up the way you described though since I didnt know what you were measuring (data vs execution code is how I always thought of it).

Interesting... I looked at a 'DF' file I have here, BCDW. This binary is used for the LQ1 3.4L 'X' engine. I did not realize that they also used the 'DF' code for the 3.1L 'T' engine.

The code size is measured by the assembler. After it is done assembling the file back into the binary, it counts the number of instructions (and the size in bytes) used. The assembler is ASM11, and it is freely available on the web. It works great for me. There are several assemblers named ASM11 out there so be sure to get the right one. It has "Copyright © 1998-2002 by Tony G. Papadimitriou, M.S." in the readme that comes with it.

Scot Sealander

It was only used on the 4T60-E equipped 3.1s. I will go hunt down that assembler. I downloaded the motorla pdf file on the processor and how the assemby commands work. YIKES! That is all but overwhelming. I had used tuner cats disassembler on AUBU. I know every data location and what it is, but the execution code is what I have to learn. I think i can just look at what the execution code is pointing at for a start, and then figure out what those op codes do.

What is 'DF'?

Any suggestions for how to get started in doing this kind of work? I've asked before and always get "Find a hack if you want to edit files" I don't neccesarily want to edit files for the sake of tuning, I just want to learn how to work with the code so I have something to do on a rainy day, learn how the code works etc. Its seems very entertaining, but I just can't seem to get over the beginning hump. Let me say, any good readings I can start with?

Chris

DF is the code mask.

http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=sections&sid=79

That has some stuff I wrote up and some links. Im going to have to do a serious writeup though to answer all of the questions I have gotten. I guess I will start it and add to it as questions abound. Anyone wanting to add anything or correct me is more than welcome to help out here:)

Yeah, $ is used for everything it seems. Hex address can be stated so many different ways that I just say hex 0054 or whatever. or 0x0054 or who knows what else:)

I dont have the patience for assembly. I dropped computer programming because I hated it, so I dunno who I am kidding with assembly. Im too busy learning everything else on engines right now, especially blueprinting, head port work and intake/exhaust design. Assembly just bounces off my brain.