Gotta winter prep. the rust so it doesn't get worse: Tips

slick

Yeah, as the title says, gotta winter prep the rust on my car so it doesn't get worse. Figured I should sand it down, primer and paint it. Probably the same for any underbody rust, correct? As for the rest of the body, a good wax job? Since this paint is kinda shitty, I just use the Meguire's cleaner wax. Should I throw something on top of that as well, or do something afterwards? Since I need to bleed my brakes anyways, i'm going to go ahead and paint my calipers and brackets while I'm at it. Might as well protect them, and give them a somewhat better appearance(probably just gonna go silver on them, nothing crazy).

So, anything else I should go after before the salt, I mean snow sets in?

Maybe smear some grease on all your brake and fuel lines under the car if you don't want to get oil spraying. I'm going to paint all underbody rust with POR-15 then get it oil sprayed.

You can be lazy like me and have the whole car OIL-undercoated. It's messy as hell but effective at stopping and preventing further rusting.

Does that shit come off after a whole winter season? I mean wouldn't it make a huge mess if you go to work on the car?

You can be lazy like me and have the whole car OIL-undercoated. It's messy as hell but effective at stopping and preventing further rusting.

Does that shit come off after a whole winter season? I mean wouldn't it make a huge mess if you go to work on the car?

Well working on my sister's car was always a little messy. The place I went to used a different oil (it's black not brownish color) so we'll see! :lol:

Why are you going thru all that trouble? Wax Cleaner sucks, I never used one that did anything different compared to the others. If you want my advice, I'd wax the car with original TURTLE WAX, not mothers not liquid glass, ORIGINAL TURTLE WAX. This will seal the car very well, and prevent any existing rust from expanding greatly. As for the underbody, wire brush the loose rust and wipe down with thinner. Spray some canned underbody coating to it. Might run you 5 cans, buy the good stuff by 3M too. Throw a light coat on it first and then thatll give you an idea of how much to spray on evenly. I dont think spending $140 is smart for a quick cheap imporvement. I dont think you may have the money aviable like everyone on here. Buy the cans and throw it on yourself. This way you can even monitor the amount and where the spray is applied. This is the best option for you.

Im just going to finish what I started with POR15. I did most of it in the spring, but still need a couple more parts. But with the POR15, throught the summer I looked over it, theres no stone chips or anything, looks just as good as when I put it on, some 6 months ago.

If you are taking care of body rust, make sure you sand it until NO rust is left, ( or use some Extend rust converter on it before you paint ) or it'll just pop back up in a few weeks and bubble your fresh paint. Been there, done that.

turtle wax sucks fucking ass i hate it, i used it, it was hard to get off, left horrible residue, and didnt shine worth a shit, i used megires, easy on, easy off, no residue, AWSOME shine

I dont think spending $140 is smart for a quick cheap imporvement. I dont think you may have the money aviable like everyone on here. Buy the cans and throw it on yourself. This way you can even monitor the amount and where the spray is applied. This is the best option for you.

And why do you assume this? If i really wantsd to i could have it fixed properly, but i do not have the extra time.

I dont think spending $140 is smart for a quick cheap imporvement. I dont think you may have the money aviable like everyone on here. Buy the cans and throw it on yourself. This way you can even monitor the amount and where the spray is applied. This is the best option for you.

And why do you assume this? If i really wantsd to i could have it fixed properly, but i do not have the extra time.

For some reason I do not believe your previous statement. If you don't have the time to take the car to get work on, how do you ever have time to work on it yourself? You don't have time to take the car any where, but you have time to attempt to do it yourself? I never said you were poor or broke, but why spend that money for something your not gonna see? Sorry if I offended you, you should leave this forum if you get so easily offended. Oh, and I never said that Turtle Wax for the best for shine and what not, but it is the best to seal exposed steel and rusted steel to prevent rusting. It creates the best seal and coating to weaterproof your damaged or aging exterior.

You sure seem to have extra time because all you do is talk about it!

Of course, if you start lacking on other maintenance, the car will automatically apply undercarriage oil to itself...the passenger side of my car is great thanks to my transmission seal having a minor leak. You just need to take care of stuff in front of the motor unless you do excessive amounts of backing up.

To be honest, I don't think any-one around here has money to throw around. I mean shit, we all drive first gen w-bodies!

...2nd Gen Panther platform here...(1987 Town Car)

:roll: :lol:

Main reason my car's body is in shitty condition: I live in the salt belt. Bought the car with rust, and haven't had time to really get at that yet. I've spent wayyyy too much time under the hood to really be concerned about the body, so it's kinda my fault.

Main reason my car's body is in shitty condition: I live in the salt belt. Bought the car with rust, and haven't had time to really get at that yet. I've spent wayyyy too much time under the hood to really be concerned about the body, so it's kinda my fault.

And I'm afraid that's where I'm going with the Cutlass if I keep it.

Of course, if you start lacking on other maintenance, the car will automatically apply undercarriage oil to itself...the passenger side of my car is great thanks to my transmission seal having a minor leak. You just need to take care of stuff in front of the motor unless you do excessive amounts of backing up.

:lol: :lol:

I think Tony and me are going to do our cars at the same time. I've got my underbody pretty much cleaned of grease and shit, but I need to get back under there to clean the rest off. Tony needs to do the same.

Hopefully I'll get this done within the next few weeks.