Flash to pass?

ToroToro

My 90 Lum did not have the FTP, If you pulled back the lever with the light off nothing would happen. And if you then turned on the headlights without pulling the lever a second time they would turn on with the highs on already.

My 87 Celebrity mentioned having a FTP in the manual that did not actually work on the car either, it did the same thing as my lumina... nothing.. unless the lights were on..

I would have liked that feature, but mostly I would use it (and do use it on my current car) to tell ppl to get the f out the way or to go at a 4 way stop.. just to signal people basically.

My RX-7 has flash to pass though...I can say I've never been flashed to be passed by anyone though...

Hey 1990Lumina,

How does the FTP work on your mazda when it has flip up lights, does it just do like a half flip or what. I know the early 90s RX-7s had that clear panel in front of the lights that would allow the flash to shine through while the lights were down..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DiscoStudd

• ToroToro

• Bolt_Crank

• GP1138

The first domestic W-bodies with DRL's should have been the 1997 Generation-II models.
Not to nitpick that statement, but I had a 96 Regal for a loaner car back in 96 and it had DRL's.
my 95 has it. i just pull on the turnsignal switch.
I'd like to see a video of this, if you could.

As did my '91 Cutlass Supreme

You had to have had a canadian car. No US-sold '91 Cutlass Supreme should have DRL's. I suppose it could have been special ordered, but still..

Every single 6000 STE I've owned (the two '86s earlier, and the 2 '89s now) have had FTP, and showed it in the manual. I have yet to try it on the GPs. Didn't even think about trying it on them (mostly because they haven't been in shape to pass ANYthing :lol:.... :( ). I only used the feature when passing just because it HAD the feature. :P But yeah, that's another good use for it. The morons who just sit there at the stop sign when it's their turn. If it wasn't for the huge, cnofussing mess it would leave, I'd just say "to hell with you", and go. That would throw the rest of the order out of wack, though.

my brothers old '91 GP LE had the FTP feature, and if you use it while your headlights are on (at least in newer vehicles) your highbeams come on withOUT turning off your lowbeams.

around here, the most common use is "TURN OFF YOUR HIGHBEAMS YOU DIRTY SOB!" :lol:

The first domestic W-bodies with DRL's should have been the 1997 Generation-II models.
Not to nitpick that statement, but I had a 96 Regal for a loaner car back in 96 and it had DRL's.
my 95 has it. i just pull on the turnsignal switch.
I'd like to see a video of this, if you could.

As did my '91 Cutlass Supreme

You had to have had a canadian car. No US-sold '91 Cutlass Supreme should have DRL's. I suppose it could have been special ordered, but still..

Sure wasn't canadian.. that I'm sure of.

the only difference between Canadjun sold/built cars and their counter parts, is that DRL is mandatory since 1990

does anyone else hate the new GM light systems? even the e-brake doesn't turn them off anymore

lol TURN OFF YOUR BRIGHTS MORON!! i honk and flash my lights...that usually works

as does chasing the stupid fuckers down when they DON'T turn off their brights.

I'm gonna get shot one day.

lol TURN OFF YOUR BRIGHTS MORON!! i honk and flash my lights...that usually works

as does chasing the stupid fuckers down when they DON'T turn off their brights.

I'm gonna get shot one day.

Odd... I don't have that problem anymore... lights seem to always turn off for me these days.... can't figure out why, yet... :lol:

I don't think that Gm really got into the FTP feature. It's mainly a Ford thing.
I'm pretty sure every new GM has FTP, especially since the move away from the "Saginaw" style steering columns. FWIW, both of my new cars have it. My Malibu's stalk has a "Ford" style dimmer (pull it towards you for FTP, push it forward to leave the brights on) and the Impala has the traditional GM "pull-till-it-clicks" dimmer (FTP comes on before the "click" ...)

I have ftp on my '93 Cutlass Supreme. Not even sure if it activates the high beams or the low beams. W/ headlights off, pull on the stalk like you were going to activate the high beams...the stalk will "click" like you've activated the beams, meanwhile, your headlights have flashed. Try it in front of your garage, at night, with the lights off & motor running. Not sure if in gear helps.

FTP will work no matter what gear you're in, and almost always with the vehicle off as well.

I don't think there's any 1st Gen lumi's with it... we're not "luxury" enough :lol:

The headlights have to be off.
Yep, that's the whole point. You can very easily "Flash to Pass" on any car when the headlights are already on :lol: . FTP's purpose is so you can quickly flash the lights without having to reach down and switch on the headlight switch...