Flash to pass?

ToroToro

Am I doing something wrong here? I can never get my flash to pass feaure to work...

In the owners manual it says " to let another driver know you want to pass, pull the multi stalk toward you. The high beams will stay on as long as the lever is pulled back" or something to that effect. Is this only supposed to work with the headlights on, or what? I mean of course the bright are going to come on when the headlights are on...

Maybe I'm under the impression that the brights should flash even without the headlights on. That would make sense to me anyway...

Anyone know anything about this?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DiscoStudd

• ToroToro

• Bolt_Crank

• GP1138

They must've been smoking crack when they wrote the owner's manual, because none of the 94-96 W-Bodies had a "flash-to-pass" feature. IIRC, we had a big discussion about this sometime last year. I've owned 3 W's from the 94-96 era with that style of steering column (Saginaw) and none of them had F-T-P. (FYI, the high-beam switch is inside the column.)

It wouldn't be the first time Oldsmobile had an option listed in their owner's manual that never made it to production (95 Cutty HUD, anyone?) Seeing as 94 was the first year for that steering column, maybe they had the books all printed up well in advance of the cars being introduced, and there were a few last-minute changes :shrug: ...

Yeah, I'm a little let down...first time I read my owners manual in the 9 months I've had the car...and sure enough, I find a feature I didn't know about...but it isn't even included on the car. :roll:

I'll assume there isn't any easy way to rig it up, since the 88-93s had the square columns...but I dont think I'd ever use it anyway. I was just curious about where it went. :?

I doubt the switch would even fit, but I've never dismantled an 88-93 column before, so don't take that as gospel.

Anyway, if you're curious, here's where the switch "hides" in the 94-96 columns:

column4.jpg

Mine works. FTP is where you pull the stalk back with no lights on/lows on, and the brights will flash once, is that correct?

well, i believe they're supposed to stay ON for as long as you hold the stalk back...

and, my cutlass doesnt have that feature either...thats deffinatly an option i'd love to have...

Do all your cars in the states (1994+ anyways) have daytime running lights??? Just wondering.

I would never use the highbeams for that purpose anyways, if I wanna pass someone I just wait until I got room and then jump on it. :roll:

Do all your cars in the states (1994+ anyways) have daytime running lights??? Just wondering.

I would never use the highbeams for that purpose anyways, if I wanna pass someone I just wait until I got room and then jump on it. :roll:

well, i know i've NEVER seen a mini-quad car around here with DRL's...and most of the 1st gen w's i've seen DO NOT have DRL's...only a few 98ish monte's and luminas...

as for the flash to pass..thats not what i use it for either...i use it for when asshole's pull out in front of me so i can let them know i'm not very happy with their driving...

DRL must have been a Canadian thing then...

I can't turn them off, always on during the day. The foglights and parking lights don't come on though only the low beams (unless I turn them on).

I believe in Canada we've need DRLs since 1990 (which is why my Lumina has them)...however in the states it was 1997 or something like that before they put in DRLs

My Lumina I'm sure doesn't have that feature...when I pull the stalk towards me it clicks the high beams on...then if you pull it again it goes back to low beams....and if you push it away from you it just cracks and sounds like it's going to break lol....

My RX-7 has flash to pass though...I can say I've never been flashed to be passed by anyone though...

DRL must have been a Canadian thing then...

It is, it's law for all Canadian registered cars to have DRL's, IIRC.

Mine does stay on as long as I hold the stalk back.

Is your Canadian built?? The US models shouldn't have had that option, unless something is screwy with the wiring :?

well, i know i've NEVER seen a mini-quad car around here with DRL's...and most of the 1st gen w's i've seen DO NOT have DRL's...only a few 98ish monte's and luminas...

as for the flash to pass..thats not what i use it for either...i use it for when asshole's pull out in front of me so i can let them know i'm not very happy with their driving...

DRLs were standard on ALL W-bodies, 1996 and up...

DRLs were standard on ALL W-bodies, 1996 and up...

mine DOESNT have them...like i said before, i've NEVER seen a min-quad setup with them...but, i have seen gp's, lumina's, monte's, etc. with them...

Hmmm, forgot that you had a 97. I know my dads old 96 CS coupe had them...Sure someone didn't pull a fuse?

I remember some ads from 95-96 with GM braging that DRLs were standard on their whole carline too. :?

Hmmm, forgot that you had a 97. I know my dads old 96 CS coupe had them...Sure someone didn't pull a fuse?

I remember some ads from 95-96 with GM braging that DRLs were standard on their whole carline too. :?

there is a spot in the fuseblock...but there is only 1 prong (the hot side)...there is nothing in the other side...that was the first thing i checked out when i got the car...i'm guessing the cars with DRL's where the canadian versions...