• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DiscoStudd

• ToroToro

• Bolt_Crank

• GP1138

My dad's CS was USA born and bred...I guess it's just kinda hit and miss like a lot of other things on old Ws. :lol:

guess so...thats really wierd...like i said before, i've never seen DRL's on mini-quad cars...i have seen em on '96-7 cutty sedans...

GM only started rolling out DRL's in 96. Our 96 Lumina didn't have DRL's (and they weren't even optional according to the owner's manual.) IIRC, it was either 98 or 99 when the whole GM lineup received the DRL/Auto Headlight combo as standard equipment.

And as far as those of you who say you have "Flash-To-Pass" on your 94-96 (and if you want to get technical 97 Cuttys, 97-99 Montes, and 97-01 Luminas included) W-Body, I'd like to see a video of you "flashing to pass" to prove the option existed. GMPartsdirect only lists one wiper/dimmer switch assembly (2 switches that share the same harness) for these cars. You'd think if it were an option, that they'd have 2 different part numbers listed. Not that I don't believe anyone who says their car will do this, but I'd really like to see the so-called F-T-P in action, that's all :wink: ...

None of my 3 Ws (2 '90s and a '92) have flash-to-pass. It's either click-on or click-off.

If I'm very careful I can get it right to the edge before it actually clicks and the highlights will go on, but it requires ungodly precision and was obviously not an intended design feature.

wait wait, lemmie get this strait, if u pull the turn signal lever towards u when the lights are off, and it just flashes the high beams for a second is it, then my moms Grand am wich is a 99 does it, my car does it,. my sisters laser does it, my grandmas 96 sebring does it my friends 96 F150 does it, ect ect ect, if not, what the hell is it

It turns the high beams on, for as long as you hold the lever towards you, but it's the ability to do it WITHOUT actually "clicking" them on, allowing you to quickly flash them.

:dammit: I tried it and sure enough, nothing. That pisses me off, because every time I do my little trick to get the turn signal to actually work turning left, I'd accidentally turn the brights on, and I was under the impression I was flashing whoever was turning in front of me. :lol: Guess not.

It turns the high beams on, for as long as you hold the lever towards you, but it's the ability to do it WITHOUT actually "clicking" them on, allowing you to quickly flash them.

On GM's, it's supposed to toggle the high beams.

You have FTP if when you pull the lever all the way with the lights off, the high beams come on and stay on until you release. My 89 has it, I've never tried the 94. Toggling the high beams is a side-effect of GM choosing to use the same control and same action to do 2 different things.

I've never seen anyone actually use FTP to signal a pass. Anyone I've ever seen use that feature uses it as a, "you cut me off, fucking asshole!" and among other drivers it also seems to be interpreted as such.

The first domestic GM car to be equipped with DRL's was the 1994 Chevrolet Corsica. Other GM models quickly followed. The first domestic W-bodies with DRL's should have been the 1997 Generation-II models. 1997 Cutlass Supremes may have also had them. 1990 was the first year for Canadian GM's to get DRL's. There's much arguement over the topic of DRL's in the United States. They were originally implemented in parts of Canada where there can be very little daylight during some parts of the year. LightsOut.org claims that DRL's are worthless, serve no safety purpose here in the US, and can even be a safety risk.

its wierd how all canadian cars have DRLs, ive seen a 92 lumina with them too....along with the twilight sentinal setup(lights go on automatically when its dark out)

i dont need a flash to pass....like C-BAD says, i wait for room and floor it

IIRC I think that's what mine can do to. I know this because I don't like to "click" the highbeams alot since it's hard on the signal switch assembley.

I think DRL are a good thing for safety. If you are passing someone and it's overcast or something, you may not see an oncoming vehicle if they don't have any lights on. I always used to put on my low-beams on my 88 GP (no DRL) for this reason.

With DRL the only time you have NO lights on is when you start it and the e-brake is on (weird eh?). Same deal on our 95 APV.

The first domestic W-bodies with DRL's should have been the 1997 Generation-II models.
Not to nitpick that statement, but I had a 96 Regal for a loaner car back in 96 and it had DRL's.
my 95 has it. i just pull on the turnsignal switch.
I'd like to see a video of this, if you could.

its wierd how all canadian cars have DRLs, ive seen a 92 lumina with them too....along with the twilight sentinal setup(lights go on automatically when its dark out)

i dont need a flash to pass....like C-BAD says, i wait for room and floor it

My 1990 has that Matt. The sensor for it is mounted in the left speaker grille on the dash. I knida like that feature myself...however when I get into another car to drive...I usually forget to turn the headlights on for the first block :oops:

I usually forget to turn the headlights on for the first block :oops:
Not only do I forget to turn my headlights on when I drive my Regal, but I also forget to turn them off. :lol: I don't think I've ever manually switched on the headlights in either of my new cars. Damn you GM for your fancy Auto-Headlights! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!! :verymad: :verymad: :verymad:

Guest Anonymous

Werd.

My 95 GT had it as well... I think maybe it was something included on higher optioned cars.

I can't wait! Somebody is bound to snap there turn signal/light switch! :lol: I personally back off when I'm ready to pass, then go WOT and blow by at about 80MPH. Not always though, but sometimes...heh.

Aaron

The sensor for it is mounted in the left speaker grille on the dash. I knida like that feature myself...however when I get into another car to drive...I usually forget to turn the headlights on for the first block :oops:

yeah i think the twilight thing was for canadian luminas only??

and yes i forget sometimes too!! because the cluster backlighting is ALWAYS on when you start the car....first time i had my car at night i was out with family, and i didnt turn my headlights on for like 5 minutes of driving..

oh yeah they gladly pointed that out to me :oops:

The first domestic W-bodies with DRL's should have been the 1997 Generation-II models.
Not to nitpick that statement, but I had a 96 Regal for a loaner car back in 96 and it had DRL's.

As did my '91 Cutlass Supreme