*HELP* What is this, and is this bad??

cutty

well while in the process of taking some pics for dohc v6 for the cai, i found this ball thing with what looked like a vacuum line broken, and i found where it went to this 'T' and one of the hoses went into a wire harness looking thing, and the other went into the upper left hand corner of the intake manifold. its a 95 cutlass with a 3100 by the way. any and all quick help would be appreciated.

here is the ball thing:

IMG_0001_32.jpg

IMG_0001_31.jpg

here is the where the 'T' is and where the other lines are going:

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

EDIT: anyone have the part number or anything for it since the vacuum line going off the ball to the 'T' is broken in the middle.

it's the vacuum ball, iirc (i know, it's not a very descriptive name. it basically stores vacuum. you don't exactly need it, but i would fix it or still use it. i'm not exactly sure what you're asking. do you want to know if you can get rid of it to run the cai?

it's the vacuum ball, iirc (i know, it's not a very descriptive name. it basically stores vacuum. you don't exactly need it, but i would fix it or still use it. i'm not exactly sure what you're asking. do you want to know if you can get rid of it to run the cai?

no im not asking to remove it, but i was taking pics for dohc v6, which is making a cai for my car. and was just wondering what it does, and how important it is to be hooked up.

it's for the cruise control, hook it all back up

thats weird that it doesnt affect the cruise, since it still works even thought its disconnected. and the bad thing is that i cant hook it back up since the vacuum hose is broken.

sure you can hook it back up...just get a piece of vacumm hose from a local autoparts store...slide it over the line, then remove that 90* piece from the old line and slide the hose over where that piece was!

The 95+ cars had electronic cruise.

Yeah, you're going to want to hook that back up. You do need it. A few things run off vacuum on these cars, including the HVAC. When the engine is idling, it will produce vacuum, enough to power the accesorys.

At wide open throttle, there is less, or no vacuum. That is where the vacuum ball comes in. It acts as a reservoir to store vacuum for those occasions when the engine isn't producing enough vacuum to adequately power the accesorys.

Yeah, you're going to want to hook that back up. You do need it. A few things run off vacuum on these cars, including the HVAC. When the engine is idling, it will produce vacuum, enough to power the accesorys.

At wide open throttle, there is less, or no vacuum. That is where the vacuum ball comes in. It acts as a reservoir to store vacuum for those occasions when the engine isn't producing enough vacuum to adequately power the accesorys.

:werd:

so that would cause the air to start blowing all to the floor when accelerating over 2k rpm, when set to blow out of the vents?? if this will fix it, then my problem will be fixed. and i also realized that the ball has some water or something in it, is there a way to get it out of there??

Don't even bother getting a junkyard one.. they're all bad.

That part number's been posted somewhere before, and I think they're cheap. I'd just get one from the dealer.

Its not for the cruise, although its understandable how it can be confused, it is realated with vacuum even though people sometimes call it a silencer for whatever reason... it does serve a purpose. just get another piece of hose to replace it with the length does not need to be exactly the same

i found the part numbers while searching but would they still work since i have a 95? and i dont have that check valve since my cruise control is electronic.
You still need the check valve, regardless of whether or not the cruise is vacuum operated. It's purpose is to allow the air to travel in one direction only.

I found a check valve for my 'rent's Cutty at Checker over in the "HELP" section (ya know, the misc replacement parts in the RED blister packs...)

i found the part numbers while searching but would they still work since i have a 95? and i dont have that check valve since my cruise control is electronic.
You still need the check valve, regardless of whether or not the cruise is vacuum operated. It's purpose is to allow the air to travel in one direction only.

I found a check valve for my 'rent's Cutty at Checker over in the "HELP" section (ya know, the misc replacement parts in the RED blister packs...)

where would this check valve be located, since i couldnt find it all at??