when does your turbo sound kick in

john99gtp

Me too, though the 1770 just barely squeezes in between the turbo and intercooler, so I don't have to tighten it down as hard, unlike when I had the 1390. That one kept popping off, and when I tightened it enough to stop that, it started cutting into the rubber neck.

wouldnt a bigger clamp help hold it on without it being so tight and not cutting the rubber? or maby some kind of Support we could fab up, mabye just a metal bar that goes under it that it can rest onto, conected to the frame or the IC or somthing

Guest TurboSedan

yes the T-bolt clamps are much wider than the regular clamps but more importantly they can't cut into the rubber like worm gear clamps can. it doesn't need to be supported at all; the filter is very light.

Guest TurboSedan
YES! Especially the one at the throttle body. GOD it annoys me trying to get that thing lined up, and not slide off when tightening!

exactly! it doesn't seem like it should be hard, but it is quite a chore getting them to stay lined up while tightening them. even the clamps on the lower pipe are very difficult to get right.

YES! Especially the one at the throttle body. GOD it annoys me trying to get that thing lined up, and not slide off when tightening!

exactly! it doesn't seem like it should be hard, but it is quite a chore getting them to stay lined up while tightening them. even the clamps on the lower pipe are very difficult to get right.

Like any of the K&N Air Filters that have oil on them that gets onto (and into) the rubber, and any oil at the inlet to the turbo, you have a stead fast clamping problem. And the oil mist that gets into the intake pipes messes up a good connection once its disturbed :!: When I use contact cleaner to strip the oil on BOTH sides of the hose at the TB, and the inside of the clamp surface, and the TB and intake pipe end, my clamps never move :!: no matter how tight I make them. I also use the bolt for the intake pipe there that attaches to the thermostat cover to hold that intake pipe in place relative to the TB :idea: , not the hose/clamps, this helps as well. Clean, clean, and seen this approach work on the TB hose, Air Filter necks and intake pipe hoses for a number of years on a couple dozen TGPs worked on here at my place.

Going to be heading out for a few days so have a good week guys :D !

Later

Jeff M

i had my dad hold the TB pipe in place while i tightend it, it is a bitch,and all the oil spray pools up and then u take it off and uh oh look at that, why doesnt my engine suck dat shit up? lol

Jeff is right. oil eats rubber. especially when it is subject to heat. Another thing that helps me when I do that top coupling is if you clamp on the TB first then the bolt, then center the pipe clamp really well on the flared part of the pipe and tighten it slow then center it more really careful then tighten it fully. then you are done.