when does your turbo sound kick in

john99gtp

like the topic says :lol:

today me and greg (no1kicker) did the AC fin mod thing to the TGP, and I dont think we tightened all the hoses up, cause i can hear the turbo quite a bit.

I was wondering when you guys can hear it with the cone filter or not, i dont care. for me, i could start hearing it at the tick just before 0 on the gauge, which meant it kicked on while going up hills

Is this basically the time when you hear it with a cone? I didnt think you would hear it THAT much.

It sounded sweet driving through the tunnels of Boston though on the way home, nothing like having the noise bounce off of the walls :D

John

Yes, you will hear it THAT much. The turbo likes to make it's presence known. :mrgreen:

That sound is common, even under a light throttle load.

If you didn't tighten the hoses up, you'd have a lot more problems on your hands than just a cool sound. 8)

The difference from when I had the stock intake, to when I put the cone on was night and day. I was hard pressed to hear the turbo before. If someone was next to the car while I was driving, they said it was audible. But not for me, inside. When I put the K&N on......I drove for hours. :oops: I couldn't get over the sound, and it kicked in pretty quick and loud. And if I let off the throttle fairly quickly, but not all at once, it actually sounded like a BOV, instead of a horse. :lol:

AC fin mod--- what the hell is that??? and how is it done and hwat does it do?

also john... you should have 2 plastic hoses ( there hard hoses) goint to the selonid on the plenum. if one of them is not connected or has a hole/ melted you will hear alot more boost.

AC fin mod--- what the hell is that??? and how is it done and hwat does it do?

also john... you should have 2 plastic hoses ( there hard hoses) goint to the selonid on the plenum. if one of them is not connected or has a hole/ melted you will hear alot more boost.

You take the fins out of the AC Condensor and it allows better airflow to the Intercooler.

:lol: that's like the oldest mod in the book. I think Jeff M first did that in the early 90's but not sure. One of the best bang for your weekend mods.

Right along with dogbone washers and CAI.

wow im behind the times lol... i just got the car though so i got a good excuse.... it may even already been done, any one got details.. like what does this do just help keep the engine cooler? and details on how to do tthis im a noob

you will see the ac coils exposed if it is done already. You seen Jeff M's website? I think it says how to do it on there. You need a needlenose pliers and grab like 3 or 4 fins, pinch and turn as you pull. You will have a sore back and a pile of aluminum fins.

Then if you put the cold air intake on it, which is simple, just 2 elbows welded together(TGP intake mandrel bends), ru-1390 KN air filter on it. It will see nothing but refreshing nice cold air. You can put your hand down there and it is actually cool air rushing in. It keeps the whole engine bay cooler.

Get down in front of the car and look at the condenser. If there are fins missing on the drivers side then it has already been done. It's a free mod and will take a few hours. I noticed it a little in cold(er) weather.

And yes John, you hear the turbo just cruising. :)

Actually since Kenny did lots of pics and details and had it put on Chris A's web site, never did get around to detailing the mod on my web site :cry: mine is kind of a lame-butt web site anyways, never enough time, someday :) .

http://www.tpsgarage.com/

Jeff M

Wow...first time in a long time that I have seen that!! :shock: That was back in the arguing days remember Jeff?? :lol: Anyway that is a good way to get more flow across the intercooler.

That is where my FMIC piping will go through in a few months once I get the TGP back from Luke. I am going to find an A/C condenser that is the same height but narrower to open up that big hole for piping. 8)

I am going to find an A/C condenser that is the same height but narrower to open up that big hole for piping. 8)

I'm right with ya on that one.. that'd be the perfect spot to run piping through. I'm gonna yank the condensor out of the TGP tomorrow before it gets taken so I have one on hand for measurments/comparison.

Ummmm as for intercooler pipes going front-side, anyone notice the space once the radiator overflow bottle if removed (and moved elsewhere)? Just an idea, will know that one sometime this winter as I look to stick a top-down in the TGP I have, that has been sitting for 6 years!

And as for those argument days....nope don't remember 8)

Jeff M

Ummmm as for intercooler pipes going front-side, anyone notice the space once the radiator overflow bottle if removed (and moved elsewhere)? Just an idea, will know that one sometime this winter as I look to stick a top-down in the TGP I have, that has been sitting for 6 years!

And as for those argument days....nope don't remember 8)

Jeff M

I have a fab guy (for the piping) here in the springs who is dying to do a FMIC for me. We will be taking a hard look at the best routes...will look deeper were the rad bottle is now that you mention it. Top down would definitely be the best for our confined space and especially for short pipe routing that is for sure!

Well now that I have assisted in the hijacking of a thread...I will retire for now. :wink: 8)

When I put the K&N on mine I could imediately hear a difference. With the stock piping on I didn't hear anything..kind of lame.

Mine gives off a loud sucking sound just off idle, it sounds like when you run a car without an intake pipe, just sucking air straight into the T/B.

With a little more throttle the boost guage starts to read above zero, and the sucking sound turns into the wonderfull whistling that we all love. :mrgreen:

As for your fear of having left a pipe clamp loose, go check them all, obviously. 8) When I did my stat I forgot to tighten the clamp on the throttle body. I didn't notice it until WOT when the car hit the top of 1st gear the engine would bog down as the ECM detected an over boost condition and killed the fuel pump.

The point of this:

If you left a pipe clamp loose, you will know.

Guest TurboSedan

my K&N was about $30. i used RU-1770 (i think Luke is too). the rubber won't get too hot, but you need to be careful not to overtighten the clamp. you might want to look into some T-bolt clamps; they are alot nicer than standard worm gear clamps and you don't have to worry about the clamp digging into the rubber so much.