245/55/16 tires

MoTox8410

i forget how wide are those rims?

well for a 245/50-16, the minimum rim width is 7.0 inches and the max rim width is 8.5

so for the sake of the question, a 245/55-16 tire on what im gonna guess is a 7 inch rim (my guess) probably not a safe idea. IMO but hey its up to you bro do some research and wait for some more feedback.

Later

i beleive those are 7" wheels. you also have to remember that as the sidewall height increases, you can go with a wider tire. that size on 7" might be okay, but isnt optimum and probably wont wear very well. neither discount tire or tire rack list that size.

I'll get pictures as soon as I get 'em put on my car - my old Z looked good with them, and the wider tread pattern was awesome. I was running Continental 4000 H 245/50-16's - it's an awesome summer/dry pavement tire, but they sucked in the rain, snow, ice, or anything - hell if someone spit out their window, the car would be nearly outta control.

--Dave.

The last time I checked there weren't too many good 245/55 series tires out there. On my GP I run 245/50 16's, and while they're an inch undersize, you get a lot more options in performance tires. It does throw your speedo off, and you really need a wider rim to run them too. The good thing about a 245/55 would be that it matches factory tire diameter or pretty close.

i dunno if z34 stock wheels are as wide my as cuttys sawblade but my sawblades are 7" wide, and so were the polished american racing wheels i have. they are both 7" wide. and i have always wondered on how big of a tire i could put on them.

If you read the guidlines on a site like Tire Rack, they usually say what's safe or not, or they just won't list it as an option. I had a nice book one time that explained all the tire math, and most 245 can go as narrow as 7 and as wide as 9.5 I think, but a low profile 245 on a 7" wide rim probably won't be a good idea.

good choice. let us know how they turn out. all i know is that those tires suck on my camaro. it doesnt make much power and i cant get it to rev up sitting or punch it off the line without the tires spinning.

edit: actually, i think mine are bfg radial t/a's