Gain and crossover

93cuttysupreme

I personally would just play around with the crossover adjustment to see what sounds good, and what doesn't, and then make small adjustments. You could also probably adjust the crossover to the specs of your pioneer subs, but personally I would just play around until the bass from the subs is just right.

Oh, basically the crossovers adjust the frequency of the singal to the subs. This is usually measured in hertz (Hz?). A lower frequency means more bass, and a higher frequency is more treble, and usually is meausred in kilohertz I think (Khz?)...

Ok, I got this amp http://www.lightningaudio.com/2004/products/product.asp?prodID=728

powering 2 500 watt max pioneer subs. I figured out what the gain is, and have that at about half, but i cannot figgure out where to put the "crossover" diles. Can you guys help me out?

First....are your subs in a sealed box or in a vented box?

Typically, when using a crossover on a subwoofer amplfier you always want the crossover set to High Pass(hp or HPF) and I would set the High Pass cross over frequency selector to between 80-100 hz. Now dont think of this crossover setting as a brick wall. Frequencies above that range will play.....But they will gradually decrease in volume, depending on how steep the crossover slope inside the amplifier is.

I think you mean Low Pass. It lets the low frequency pass and filters the high.

And in reference to the roll-off db rate 12 db roll-off is the gradual and 24 db is the "brick wall".

I can see how it can be confusing though. I had to read my owners manual like 20 times before I could get my JL 1000w monoblock to put out any sound :oops:. Way more hi-tech than my old PG titanium 1250 watt that I fried back in '02. That thing only had gain and low pass/high pass.WTFIT? I guess all you are paying for is the titanium?!?!

I would start with the low-pass at @ 80 Hz. Then slowly increase/decrease the range according to personal preferance.

As far as the gain- Set the input sensitivity controls of your amplifier to their minimum level (counter clockwise).

Put in a CD and turn the receiver's volume control up (you might have to raise the amp's gain just a bit to hear the music).

When you hear distortion, stop. Turn the volume down until it disappears. As much signal as possible is passing from the receiver to the amp. This maximizes the signal-to-noise ratio, and leaves your system less prone to engine noise problems. Keep the volume setting here.

Now turn the gain controls on the amplifier up until it's as loud as you'll play it. If you hear distortion, slightly decrease the gain settings.

Now you've optimized the amp's output with the receiver's volume set near maximum. You can turn the volume almost all the way up and not damage your speakers or amplify distortion.

Your hooking up a subwoofer, So a bass-heavy CD will be more helpful for making the final adjustments.

I think you mean Low Pass. It lets the low frequency pass and filters the high.

And in reference to the roll-off db rate 12 db roll-off is the gradual and 24 db is the "brick wall".

Yep your right.....Brain Fart...lol :lol: