Lateral links

birdman

I was reading through a post and someone mentioned that you could put newer lateral links in an older car because they were better. i didnt catch the details because thats not what i was looking for at the time but now im intrested. does anyone know what exactly i need to do or if i can even do it? thanks.

Maybe you're thinking about the trailing arms? GMPP has them for newer GP's but they work on our cars too.

He's referring to using 2nd Gen aftermarket lateral links on a 1st Gen. I believe there are one or two people that have put the 97+ Grand Prix "BMR" brand adjustable lateral arms on their 1st Gen W-bodies.

http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BMR-RLA&Category_Code=SB&Product_Count=10 (rear)

and

http://www.3800performance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BMR-FLA&Category_Code=SB&Product_Count=11 (front)

They would be considerable stronger. Ours are hollow sheet metal pices, and probably 90% of us need new bushings. I know my lateral arms are rusted to shit.

edit: The adjustable aftermarket pieces would be overkill, if the 97+ stockers fit in our cars there would be improvement.

I hadn't heard of using 97+ lateral bars.

Ours are weak, especially due to the rectangular shape. Even the 97+ ones look better. Does anyone know for sure that they work?

BMR ones seem to be overkill and damn they're expensive!

I've got one of the trailing arms from GMPP on my car right now because the stocker snapped in half. Those things are pure crap. I temp fixed it with a piece of metal fence and 4 hose clamps though. :lol: Worked until I had time to put the right piece in. Unfortunately, the bolts are ridiculous to get off. My dad ended up having to torch off the front bolt and fab one up for a replacement. I refuse to try to get the other one on but I've got it for the next owner (if there is a next owner).

I've got one of the trailing arms from GMPP on my car right now because the stocker snapped in half. Those things are pure crap.

Just to clarify, you mean the stocker was pure crap and not the GMPP one, right?

I've got one of the trailing arms from GMPP on my car right now because the stocker snapped in half. Those things are pure crap.

Just to clarify, you mean the stocker was pure crap and not the GMPP one, right?

Yeah. Sorry about that. The GMPP trailing arm is like 10x better. Real solid feel to it as opposed to the stocker's hollow, bendy feel. Unless it's just because mine was 14 years old.

so the 97-03 w-body Lateral Links will FIT like a glove with no doubt???? Who has done this?

I would like to do this when I decide to go over my whole front and rear suspension.

I'm thinking about buying a set of the 04+. Because they are adjustable. I think the driver's side might be too long. So But the left side looks like it might work. Maybe two passenger side fenderbrackes might do the trick since they are extendable.

In the next few weeks, I'll be seeing my friend who has a 97 GTP.

I can measure the difference than.

I'm going to guess there is since the 2nd gens are wider, but who knows. Also, maybe since they are adjustable they can be toed in enough to fit for our cars.

I'm gonna do it too. This was a dilemma for me as to where to get the links, as I need them bad.

I have my old stock (98 Lumina)- trail's, front & rear lats sitting in my garage. Was thinking about throwing them out. You pay shipping or come & get em & their yours. (send PM)

I have the BMR kit on my Lumina. Kinda overkill. But, They are NICE.

+ I got mine for a hell of a deal. IIRC- I paid $325 shipped for the trails, front & rear lats. (new)