Tranny makes ratling noise at idle

NeonHomer

I have noticed today when I was looking around the engine on my 88 Cutlass supreme (2.8L) I head a rattling sound, kinda like someone was shaking a ball in a metal can. DOes anyone know if this is a major problem, or just a loose bolt??

yeah i've heard that rattling from time to time at idle too...maybe for a few years now...it's not the muffler because we changed that recently...most likely the cat...it's never given me any real trouble.....honestly, my garage is disgusting in the winter so i don't even pop the hood until the weather gets better.....

Guest TurboSedan

do you have a manual transmission? mine rattles in neutral with the clutch engaged, but as soon as i depress the clutch pedal the rattling goes away. the problem never gets any worse and i've heard it's a common problem. just an idea....

joshua

Thats probably cuz the fluid has gotten warm and expanded and reached all the parts completely. I wouldnt worry, as long as runs, shifts, and feels good. Just as long as that fluid is changed regularly, it should be fine.

Robby

Mine developed that little rattle (deep sound though) this winter when in drive and stopped. I shift it into nuetral and it quits. It's also the first year (out of six winters) that it jumped forward when started. Only when 5 dgrees F. or less.

I checked the fluid level and I'm about a pint low. I plan to pick up some conditioner/treatment since it's low enough to add....Suggestions.

If it stops the rattling I'll let you know.

In regards to the first post, that sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. Whenever the car is idling or accelerating I get that rattle. The mechanic says that the cat is deteriorating. Unless there are other consequences that could seriously affect the auto (and thereby affect my pocketbook), I am going to turn the radio up just a little to compensate.