amp and sub impedence ?

Cartracer

i decided not to go with the rockford stuff but instead go with a single 12" kicker l7. I am looking at going with a 2 channel amp and bridge it into 800x1 @ 4 ohms. So i should go witht he 4 ohm sub, correct? i guess what i am trying to ask is how to get the max power out of the amp with 2/4 ohms and if to go with a 2/4 ohm sub. thx

If it is a high quality amp that is DESIGNED to run at 2ohm (some say they are 2ohm stable, but doesn't mean they are well suited for it and should stay at 4ohm) then get a 2ohm sub. If the amp is rated for 4ohm then get a sub that is 4ohm. You can always get 'more power' by getting a sub with lower impedance, but it will make the amp work harder, making it run hotter and shortening it's life.

What amp exactly are you going to use?

If you have an amp that can do 800rms at 4 ohm bridged you will want to get a single sub that is a dual 2 ohm configuration and wire it like this to achieve a 4 ohm final load to the amplifier.

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

But be carefull because you are approaching on the limits of the L7 with that kind of power....I'm not saying it wont take it....just be carefull.