subwoofers

badlsmonte18

sure. you need a line level converter to hook up to your rear speaker wires. that converts them to rca outputs so you have something to get a signal to your amp from

does the line level converter hijack the signal completely or just split or Y the signal

the only way it could competely hijack the signal is if you disconnected your rear speakers and terminated the ends of the speaker wires at the line level converter, which is what you should do. you CAN run speakers and have line level converters if you splice into the rear speaker wires but leave them hooked up to the rear speakers.

however, having subwoofers and speakers in your rear deck nullifies any useful sound from your rear speakers. it's kind of like a vasectomy. you have a penis and nuts, but after you get snipped only your penis is still useful. get it?

so your telling me that if you have subs you shouldnt have rear speakers... or is that just if i were to put subs in the rear dash... i would be using a box in the trunk... i axed the rear speaqkers in my 81 regal and my stereo sounded like shit without them, that experiment lasted about 2 days

so your telling me that if you have subs you shouldnt have rear speakers... or is that just if i were to put subs in the rear dash... i would be using a box in the trunk... i axed the rear speaqkers in my 81 regal and my stereo sounded like shit without them, that experiment lasted about 2 days

yeah, that's what i'm screaming. if you have decent front speakers, your car shouldn't sound like ass. if you have subs in your trunk they are beating the piss out of the six by nines in the rear deck, effectively making them nothing but tweeters.

did you have subs in your regal? what speakers were you using up front?

3.5" kickers up front infinity kappa 6x9 in the rear dash and 2 alpine rtype 10's with a 300x2watt pioneer amp, in the trunk pioneer headunit front and rear speakers amped with a pioneer amp... mix and match of brands but it kicked something fierce

Some amps also have speaker line inputs, so you don't need to buy anything.

could you point me to a few? i've been kind of out of the loop since the store i worked in closed. memphis and phoenix gold is what i'd buy, and from what i can tell their amps still don't have speaker level inputs

btw i am not lookin for a competition stereo i just miss the bass i have a pioneer diamondplate sub 10" still in a box and an amp kickin around just want to add some bass to the car... prolly for the time being i would leave the stock speakers in they sound unfrigin believable for stock

3.5" kickers up front

that's probably why. if you were just using 3.5 inch coax speakers, you're not going to get a whole lot out of them. you're imaging wouldn't be right and a 3.5 just doesn't put out enough midrange IMHO. so you probably needed what tiny bit of fill your rear speakers provided when they weren't being dampened by your subs.

i'll have to agree with you about how your stuff sounds now. i was fairly impressed with the factory system in my old roommate's 01 alero. but, we still ended up tearing it out and putting in diamond components and 4 memphis 15s in the trunk

:confused: maybe all i know is that when i got rid of the rears the stereo sounded like shit, yeah the kickers up front werent that shit hot, now that i think about it i dont even think i ever amped them :oops: but even though the car was a head turner...

would there be a problem with adding just a sub to the factory system with or without getting rid of the rear deck speakers, i mean would the sub tend to completely overpower the stockers or would they keep up seeing as i am not using a huge sub/amp combo

it wouldn't be a problem. like i said though, more than likely your sub would drown out anything but the higher frequencies. you might get a little rear fill fromthem being that they are most likely amped from the factory.

i would take them out, but then that's just me. your doors probably have some semblance of a component system, so it should sound good without the rears. but hell, play around with your setup a bit. if you like the way it sounds with the rear speakers, leave them in. if not, take them out. simple as that

yeah the factory system is amped it is the upgreaded 6 speaker 250W *cough* whatever am/fm/cd/cassette...

<<quote>>i would take them out, but then that's just me. your doors probably have some semblance of a component system, so it should sound good without the rears. but hell, play around with your setup a bit. if you like the way it sounds with the rear speakers, leave them in. if not, take them out. simple as that <<end quote>>

in theory i could just disconnect the rears and use the high level inputs on the amp or would i have to use the level converter?

if you have an amp that has speaker level inputs, you could do that. if it doesn't have them, you have to use a line level converter.

the line level converter converts your speaker wires to rca cables. if your amp only accepts rca inputs, then you have to use line level converters.

as a side note which would be easier for the remote lead for the amp... trying to tie into the stock amp or fishing through a toggle switch or something so that i could turn it on and off