better gas mileage

MonteC

FUEL FILTER! (a common oversight)

also

keep yer damn foot off the gas! leaving the RPMs as low as you need to will give you better gas milage

Using the AC instead of having the windows rolled down.

Should be vice versa; the compressor puts drag on the engine reducing mileage.

70 mile trip with my friend's '97 GTP:

22 MPG no A/C 1 way.

24 MPG w/AC the other way.

The road is flat as hell too. The windows being down create a HUGE drag on the car, especially travelling down the interstate.

70 mile trip with my friend's '97 GTP:

22 MPG no A/C 1 way.

24 MPG w/AC the other way.

The road is flat as hell too. The windows being down create a HUGE drag on the car, especially travelling down the interstate.

yeah, at 70mph they are. Driving in town, at low speeds, no A/C is better. Air resistance increase with the SQUARE of velocity.

Anyway, tune up, K&N gave me 2-3mpg and a better exhaust. I get 33+ on the highway with a 170,000 mile 3.1L

in our cars the compressors seem prety efficent, so they really don't make that much a difference at all on the highway.

Using the AC instead of having the windows rolled down.

Should be vice versa; the compressor puts drag on the engine reducing mileage.

anyone see the myth busters episode with that issue? i did. they had two ford explorers both with 5 gallons of gas in them. took them too a track. one windows down, other with AC on. started driving cruising at 40 the whole time. the ford explorer with windows down went an extra 30 laps than the one that had the AC on.

in my GTP, when i had it loaded down coming home from the military, i got 19 mpg with the AC on. AC off is more feel efficient in my eyes. atleast on the 3.4 it is.

take out all the interior, the spare, go take a jog :lol:

plugs/wires/filters/pcv valve/air filter/fuel filter, tranny fluid (picked up 2mpg in my father minivan), 5w30 (0-30 and the 3.1s is really pushing old gaskets), top end cleaner, tires inflated .

but like everyone has been saying, keep ya foot outta it, the mpg stay up.

hmm, exhaust. what size for a stock 3.1 would benefit the most?

2.5" is the most you would want to go, but most 3.1's came with 2.25"

I use 10w-30 and I get about 25 around town, although like everyone says, I keep my foot out of it.

i use 10w-30, thats what the 3.1T needs, do the 3.1 n/a just need 5w-30? also good gas gets u better gas mileage, like, if u go to Wong tong chongs waterd down gas instead of Shell or Cheveron, ull get worse milage, plus its bad for ur car

I duno, I use 10w-30 in the summer, and 5w-30 in the winter. Honestly, I dont even know what the 3.1's call for.

But when your off the gas, you can always through it into neutral and drop the RPM's down to idle :lol:

I use 5w30 castrol synthetic in my 94 3.4l all year round and also I definetly get better gas mileage with the a/c off then with its on....

thats not the argument, you obviously get better mpg with it off, but do u get better mpg with it off and the windows down or with the windows up and the ac on

hmm, exhaust. what size for a stock 3.1 would benefit the most?

2.5" is the most you would want to go, but most 3.1's came with 2.25"

I use 10w-30 and I get about 25 around town, although like everyone says, I keep my foot out of it.

most 3.1s came with 2". all 3.4s got 2.25" to the Y then 2" from there.

5w30 (0-30 and the 3.1s is really pushing old gaskets), top end cleaner, tires inflated .

Most 0W-30's are thicker than 5W-30's. Your comment doesn't make a lot of sense.

that makes no sence what so ever. while the engine is cold, a 5w-30 acts as a 5w, where a 0w-30 will act like a 0 weight. on old gaskets, you have more of a chance of more leaks with thinner oil, 0w-30

that makes no sence what so ever. while the engine is cold, a 5w-30 acts as a 5w, where a 0w-30 will act like a 0 weight. on old gaskets, you have more of a chance of more leaks with thinner oil, 0w-30

Yes, it is kind of weird, but let's compare Mobil-1 0W-30 with Mobil-1 5W-30 at operating temperature:

http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-30.asp

cSt @ 100ºC 10.3

And M1 5W-30: (http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_5W-30.asp )

cSt @ 100ºC 10

And M1 15W-50: (http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENPVLMOMobil_1_15W-50.asp )

cSt @ 100ºC 17.4

A higher cST number means a 'thicker' oil.

Strange, eh? And if you do the same for Castrol's 0W-30 product, or Wal-Mart's 0W-30 product, or most other 0W-30 products, they will be generally slightly thicker at operating temperature than their counterparts.

Yet the fuel economy will be better during startup because they are thinner at startup, and the thickness during high-temperature operation gives better wear protection and better ring seal.

Do leaks generally occur from hot engines, or from cold engines?? (hypothetical question -- I don't know the answer)