Shift linkage adjustment

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

How does one do this on the 3100 engine with 4t60e tranny? Where is the shift cable in the engine compartment? Any walkthroughs would be greatly appreciated.

I'm assuming you are talking of adjusting the park/neutral switch?

Well, the cable goes through the firewall in the lower center of the firewall, and loops up near the driver strut tower and then goes down to the transmission. It can be adjusted at the transmission by loosening the 2 or 3 bolts for the park/neutral switch and turning the switch. Some of the newer w-bodies have the adjustment right at the driver strut tower...it's a adjustment connector/adapter thats in the cable. But I think thats like the 97+ ones only.

Does this help, or are you talking about something else?

Jason

your talking about the actuall shift linkage right? you can't shift into all gears or something like that? to fix this all you have to do is go under the hood and i would remove the air box for more room, the follow the shifter cable down and you will see something with a spring on it and a white peice of plastic. what you want to do is to take a flat blade screw driver and pull the white peice out(the peice wont come out all the way) until the cable springs loose. then what I do is (with parking brake on) shift car into 1st gear then under the hood shift trans to 1st gear which all the way ethier up or down then push teh white peice back in. now in the car shift through all the gears some times you have to pull out the white peice and move the cable a little one way or the other to get all the gears. good luck and hope this is what you talking about.

I am having the same trouble with my 89 cutlass the reverse lights will only come on if i hold reverse slightly out of gear with the shifter so i asume the cable is to loose or something

Guest RedCutlassSL

sometimes my rpms are slightly high, like 500-1000, and i am only getting 250 miles to a tank instead of 300. Also, occasionally, the car shifts hard coming out of first. I've noticed it helps if i move the shifter around when it should be in drive. any ideas? everyone, plz help me. I really think its the shift linkage.

Guest RedCutlassSL

sometimes my rpms are slightly high, like 500-1000, and i am only getting 250 miles to a tank instead of 300. Also, occasionally, the car shifts hard coming out of first. I've noticed it helps if i move the shifter around when it should be in drive. any ideas? everyone, plz help me. I really think its the shift linkage.

Did you try adjusting the shift cable yet?

It could also be the TCC valve not working (not going into lockup). When you take off from a stop at _light_ throttle, does it seem to shift 4 times (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and TCC)? TCC lockup will bring the RPMs down by roughly 500-1000 depending on load, rpm, etc.

Jason