Motor Cleaning

Prospeeder

Ok, i want to degrease, and clean up the engine, what do i need to cover, altenator, and coils, and the ECM and Fuel pump relays? wheres the coils at to cover them, there like hella down there, how do i cover them, oh and the air box too right?

I usually just put a baggie over those components and tighten them down with rubber bands for especially sensitive components. Unless you're using a pressure washer, I wouldnt worry too much. The engine bay is pretty much water tight (in theory), but a pressure washer would push pater past rubber seals, etc. I think you've covered the major parts.

Come on now, are you kidding?

SEARCH!

You're not new around here, I'd suspect you've seen at least 1 of the 47 million topics on this...

The coilpacks are directly underneath the front exhaust manifold, with the six spark plug wires connected to them. Theres three of them, they're black and kinda round.

I've never covered the coil packs.. and never had any problems.

Cover the alternator, and your K&N filter (if you have one). Spray Simple Green all over the engine bay, allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes, then get a hose out and simply wash it off. Like others said, avoid high pressure water spray, and be sure to do this when your motor is cold.

After washing, allow it to dry.

For a nice touch to really shine the underhood up, I spray tire foam all over. It's great for car shows since it makes everything black and very shiny. No, it doesn't catch fire or burn on to anything so don't worry about that. I've used this method for years with no problems (as have others).

I wouldn't worry about covering the airbox, or the ECM. Both of them are sealed to prevent air/water leaks. The harness's for the ECM and other electrical connectors under the hood all have rubber seals around the contacts, sealing them from outside elements.

I've never covered the coil packs.. and never had any problems.

Lucky you. I covered all of the listed things except the coil packs. I cleaned my engine a few times about a year and a half ago, and then I had to replace my coil packs. I ended up having the dealer do it because they became rusted on. I am 100% convinced it is because I did not cover them when cleaning the engine. Mind you, that cost me a good $400 to have them get them off and install new ones. I would highly reccomend that you cover them so the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Guess I am. I know there's no rust on mine, and I've washed my engine several times. Plus it helps that you can do the work on your own if anything does die afterwards.

Guess I am. I know there's no rust on mine, and I've washed my engine several times. Plus it helps that you can do the work on your own if anything does die afterwards.

I knew what to do, I just couldn't. The damn things were rusted on and I was afraid to forcibly remove them and cause damage.

For DOHC vehicles, you need to be sure to cover up your spark plug wells as well. I learned that from experience :?

What do you use to cover up the wells? Did you pull the plugs to cover the wells? If not, I don't know how you covered them up.

I used Amroal Wipes on all the plastic, but it doesnt keep its shine, i might do as he said with tire care, thats a great idea, wil the turbo blanket be ok? i hear there really brittle after a while

For DOHC vehicles, you need to be sure to cover up your spark plug wells as well. I learned that from experience :?

What do you use to cover up the wells? Did you pull the plugs to cover the wells? If not, I don't know how you covered them up.

I would suggest getting some duct tape, and taping any hole up that water could possibly get down there.

As far as keeping it clean and making it shine, Ive actually used mothers 3 step wax on all that I could and used there back to black and plastic polish, dirt doesnt stick anymore and if it gets dirty, you just need a lil rag, and everything wipes rights off. Ive always cleaned the engine bay with like detailing brushes and such, basically because Im afraid to hose it down (I know nothing will happen if I cover everything that I need to, just dont like the thought of it)

yeah dunno what i do wrong, but i do what LukeZ34 said with the simple green, and it didnt really do anything...got some gunk off, but i coulda gotten that off with a plain rag

for the plastic/metal stuff i use some of the meguiars protectant wipes, it works pretty well but it doesnt hold for long....so do you use the Back 2 Black on the metal parts say support braces and engine mounts???

OMG!!!! FUCK! ok, i got done, and i get in the car, and start it up, starts up perfect, and the Antilock light is steady and bright, im like FUCK, i dudnt use a lot of pressure, and and a tooth brush and cleaned it, and i coverd the altenator, i didnt aim it at really anything, just the manifolds, and cleaned them, thats it, and i the coilds and boots were dry when i was done, thats how freakin carful i was!!!! i looked att he battery post, it has a tiny bit of rust on it, and i didnt see any green

I think so, I've done the instant panic thing before, and patience usually saves me both time and money in the long run. Just wait and re-post in the mornin. have you tried pulling codes?

nope, i havent, will the SES or the ABS light blink if i do? should i have the motor running or not to pull the codes, or does it matter? scince its stored anyway

ok, so do u put it on the "ON" position then, i assume yes, cause that powers up the cluster, oh and dont worry im not gonna start it tonight

i got code 12, its all good, that was cool, it makes a wrrrrr noise, then the fans kick in, and it flashes, thats crazy, lol thanks! its gonna be alright, im happy now!

You can't pull ABS codes with the paperclip trick. You've got to have a scanner to get them. If the ABS light stays on, take it to a shop and have them pull the codes. It will tell you what's causing the problem.

Just cause your ABS light came on doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It's still fully drivable.