89 SWRC vs. 92

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Small problem here,

I have the 89 Radio installed, working well, except the SWRC doesn't work. The plugs were different, so I spliced an extra 92 one I had into the wires on the 89 unit, so that my SWRC would plug into the back of the radio part. I must have checked my wiring 10 times, but it doesn't work. All my connections are good, too.

any idea?

Also, none of the + - buttons for the EQ controls backlight.

Guest Anonymous

trying another set of controls as in the SWRC? Dave sugggested i swap in an 89 set, as there may be some compatability problems. Not sure, though.

trying another set of controls as in the SWRC? Dave sugggested i swap in an 89 set, as there may be some compatability problems. Not sure, though.

yes exactly. If you can get '92 controls to work with your existing wiring, then '89 controls will work fine too. I had '93 GP controls hooked up to my otherwise full factory '89 Cutlass back in the day, and had no problems. My friend also had a '89 GP and he upgraded to '92+ SWRC for the power on/off button.

Guest Anonymous

My 92 has the SWRC controls from the factory (with the power on/off)... however it isn't jiving with the 89. It could be that the 89 radio unit is bad too, athough it otherwise functions fine. oddly enought, the backlight works on the SWRC which feeds of the same wiring harness. I think i'm going to be scratching my head over this one for a very long time.

Small problem here,

I have the 89 Radio installed, working well, except the SWRC doesn't work. The plugs were different, so I spliced an extra 92 one I had into the wires on the 89 unit, so that my SWRC would plug into the back of the radio part. I must have checked my wiring 10 times, but it doesn't work. All my connections are good, too.

any idea?

Also, none of the + - buttons for the EQ controls backlight.

Your steering wheel controls worked before you installed the '89 radio (correct?), so you know that's not the problem. By looking at the shop manuals, the Grand Prix SWC's are the same up to '93. The '94-'96 GP ones operate differently.

Did you mean that you used the '89 radio control head connector (for the ground, SWC, & lighting) spliced into your wiring? If so, did the '89 connector already have the green wire (SWC) present? Maybe if you had to add it to the connector, it was accidentally put in the wrong slot.

The following is from the '89 shop manual. Connector 3 (C3) wires at the top go to the cassette deck while C1 wires at the bottom go to the radio receiver. The connector pin numbers are shown at the connector. C2 should be the connector you had to splice in. The arrow marked "C" is the data line from the SWC. Notice how the data line goes through the radio control head to the receiver & cassette deck. If everything else works properly, this circuit must be connected properly between the control head and the receiver & cassette deck since that's how the control head communicates with those 2 components. Maybe try splicing the wire from the SWC into either C1 or C3 at the proper circuit.

89RadioDiagram3.gif

As for the backlighting, it's probably just a blown bulb. Maybe somebody else has done it before & can elaborate.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for your post! So are you recommending that I splice the SWRC data line in elsewhere, and not particlarly to the SWRC harness? (like into the big harness between the HU and the 2 components?)

Thank you for your post! So are you recommending that I splice the SWRC data line in elsewhere, and not particlarly to the SWRC harness? (like into the big harness between the HU and the 2 components?)

Yes, just for the heck of it, try splicing the dark green data wire from the SWC's into the dark green wire that goes from the control head to the receiver. It would be the plug on the control head that has the 6 wires & should be pin #2 (pin #1 not used). You could use one of those cheapie snap-on splice connectors at first so you can remove it if it doesn't work. If that doesn't correct the problem (and you know the SWC's are good), I would think that something might be wrong with the receiver. I assume that all receivers recognize the SWC's - is that correct? Were steering wheel controls available in '88? (-somebody have a '88 brochure?) If they weren't, and your system is from a '88, that might explain it.

Guest Anonymous

My system is from an 89 (the radio) and I'm using my 92's big receiver thingy becuase the 89 one didnt work properly. So it should defiently be recognizing the SWRC, which i know is good. Its so strange, i'm raising a giant WTF flag on this one.