Possible to Balance Wheel Without Putting Weights on Front?

kcac

Can someone who has some expertise with wheel balancing tell me if wheel weights have to be placed on the front of a wheel in oder to get it balanced.

The next time I get my alloy wheels balanced I would prefer to have all the weights out of sight on the back of the wheel. I just don't know if this request is practical or even possible to accomplish.

Any ideas on this?

My friend works/worked at a tire shop and supposidly depending on the machine, they can usually be put on the back. Only certain machines though as far as I understand. That is all I really know....

Ask for the stick-on style wheel weights if you don't want them on the face of the wheels. I used the stick on style weights on several of my own cars before and have never had a problem with them coming off for what it's worth.

yeah, stickey wheel weights are the way to go, it's a static balance, and won't control the dynamic wobble, but that's not very noticable anyhow.

--Dave.

You can get dynamic balancing with stick-ons.

They'll put them further or closer to the front depending on where it's needed.

Some places use stick-ons only, but last time I took my wheels & tires to Goodyear because I thought they were cheaper (old bait & switch). They did something strange, a combination of clip-on weights on the rear and stick-ons inside.

Anyway, all tire places that deal with aftermarket wheels should have all the equipment to balance using stick-on weights since aftermarket wheels typically don't have the lip on the front for clip-ons.

We usually hammer weights on the back of the wheel, then put sticky weights behind the spokes. This is how I do it on both of my cars, and any customer who needs it. (Almost all new Nissans have no rim lip on the front.) This is the same as hammering a weight on the front of the wheel, except that you set up the machine to think that the front of the wheel is behind the spokes.

Our machine at work actually will tell you where to put the sticky weights so you can hide them behind the spokes, among other cool little tricks.