Which Tranny......

19Cutlass94

Which tranny can take the most abuse, auto tranny. As most of you probably know, I have the 4T60-E. How much abuse can this 4T60-E take before it starts to shit the bed? Also, what other trannies can bolt up to a 3100, which are much stronger? A while back I tried looking for aftermarhet trannies, because I knew certain places made turbos, and engine mods for the 60* v6 but I knew that the trannies couldnt handle very much power, so whats a good tranny that would take the hp and or abuse? Any aftermarket gears that are stronger or anything?

I tried searching, if i missed something in the search, Im sorry.

There are shops that can build you a 4T60-E that will hold up to more power than your 3100 will likely ever make, but expect to dish out a good bit of coin for them. ZZPerformance(typically known for providing aftermarket parts for later model W-bodies) will build you a performance 4T60-E if you want to go that route.

What about the heavy duty tranny like my friend's Bonneville w/ the L67 has???

Although they had to replaced the fucker, so it can't be that strong :?

What is it called, the 4T65??

That's the 4T65e-HD with the L67s, it's different than the 4T60(e) not a direct bolt on but if you could get it to work then it should take anything a 3100 could throw at it.

Thnks for the help guys, Im still deciding what tranny would be best, because I might have the chance to build a "killer" 3100 motor to put in my Cutlass, and I dont want to convert it to a manual, rather stay with auto, theres another car that I can drive with a manual. But anyways, just need to know what tranny can hold decent power to the ground, well atleast to the tires with out breaking.

Thanks for the help so far, although its still needed :lol:

They could probably custom build one to take as much power as you need it to take, of course, price will vary as you build it stronger and stronger

If I had ZZ Performance build me a 4T60-E, how much power would that tranny then be able to handle?

Depends on how much cash you've got probably. :wink: I believe the owner of ZZP was running a 4T60-E in his 1997 GTP at one point, his car has ran low 11's/high 10's. What exactly are you going to do to your car to warrant a "built" transaxle anyways?

Give them a call or send them an email and see what they say.

http://www.zzperformance.com/contactus.php

Well I had planned on starting fresh with a new block, bore it out, maybe bored 60 over, and possibly stroke it as well, put in a little hotter cam, port and polish, send the heads out to air flow research for a port and polish, bigger valves, possibly a turbo, not sure on that though, and of course all the other stuff like stronger springs and rockers, maybe a stud gurdel (sp?) for the rockers, if anyone makes one, as well as a few other parts.