ATS Venus 17" alloy rims $66/ea, what do you think?

genEus

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?mk=&yr=1999&wd=17&pc=65326&rw=7&bp=5-115&vid=001156

What do you think about these on my Lumina? Price can't be beat, PLUS free shipping! They actually have an auction running on these for $349 plus $50 shipping on eBay... so this is pretty good, isn't it?

Oh, and will they fit on my 99 Lumina? Site says they will but I haven't had time to check my spacing... Thanks

atsven.sm.ang.jpg

Here's the eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7955451384&category=43957

that is a great price....they look a little plain for my taste....if they were gunmetal, I would grab a set quickly...

does the ebay auction include tires?

Ugh. Cheapest tires I could find are $78... Total @ discounttiredirect.com mounted and balanced, plus installation hardware and tax will be $620.

So,

a) These 17" rims and the brand new $78 tires = $620

B) Better looking 16" rims and less expensive new tires = $620

c) These 17" rims, used tires from a junk yard at about $35/piece mounted = $470. But, this is very questionable if I can find any 225/55R17 tires at a junk yard of course...

d) Or I can just drive it like it is, invest $620 in 3-yr bond and use this money in 3 years to buy a new car.

What do u think? :shock:

Do you have 205/70/15's on the car now? That's the stock size that's on my Regal, and I just picked up a set of Michelin HXMX M4 tires (235/50/17) off of eBay for $132 (plus :shock: $80 :shock: shipping) for my new 17's. The tires have 8/32nds tread left (new is between 10 and 11/32) and when new, TireRack sells them for $191 apiece. I've been "picking my battles" so to speak when looking for tires on eBay - it took me 4 months to find this deal!

If you have the 205/70's, go with a 235/50 when you upgrade to the 17's, cause that will cause the least amount of speedometer error. Here's a site where you can "plug in" your stock size and the size you're planning on running to see how far off your speedo will be.

5 X 115mm bolt pattern with a 38mm offset is what you want to go with (which it seems you've already figured out...)

Do you have 205/70/15's on the car now? That's the stock size that's on my Regal, and I just picked up a set of Michelin HXMX M4 tires (235/50/17) off of eBay for $132 (plus :shock: $80 :shock: shipping) for my new 17's. The tires have 8/32nds tread left (new is between 10 and 11/32) and when new, TireRack sells them for $191 apiece. I've been "picking my battles" so to speak when looking for tires on eBay - it took me 4 months to find this deal!

If you have the 205/70's, go with a 235/50 when you upgrade to the 17's, cause that will cause the least amount of speedometer error. Here's a site where you can "plug in" your stock size and the size you're planning on running to see how far off your speedo will be.

5 X 115mm bolt pattern with a 38mm offset is what you want to go with (which it seems you've already figured out...)

Thanks, DiscoStudd, always helpful! This just confirms what I've seen today...

From what I have seen today on eBay, I cannot find a deal better than with discounttiredirect.com, since with any eBay deal I also need to add about $70-80 to get the tires mounted and balanced :? ... So, with $132+$80 shipping + $70 mount/balance is ~ $280. And for about $320 taxed I can get brand new, mounted Goodrich Traction All-season tires, which get really high ratings on Tirerack.

And yes, I do have 205/70R15 but the 235/50R17 are just way too expensive, you got an amazing deal I think

Bah.. I give up... :bawl: It's just too fvcking expensive for vanity... If I could find a set of 17" rims and tires for $300 I'd go for it... but $620+ ... I just can't do it. It's not even about having or not having the money, I just can't bring myself to spend it... Lol.

Anyways, I think this was a good deal nonetheless...

Bah.. I give up... :bawl: It's just too fvcking expensive for vanity...
I feel your pain! Gotta love when "practicallity" takes over your life :lol: (that's why the wife and I spent $3k on new furniture for the new house instead of me spending it on a motor swap for my Regal :lol: )

Oh well, there's always "tax time" next year. To me, the day I get my tax refund is the real "Christmas" 'cause that's when I get to buy myself the stuff I lust after :D ...

Don't bother with 17" for your Lumina, cause tires are gonna be way too much.

There is a ton of 16" styles out there... both stock and aftermarket, and tires aren't expensive at all. I got a cheap Walmart tire 225/60/16 for $80 installed (I didn't have much choice cause I had a bad tire).

If you go with those wheels just call discounttiredirect and tell them the tires you want and like with mine they should nock 50- 100 bucks off for the wheel and tire package... I know I saved a bit on mine that I got from their and they were quick I got mine ahead of schedule...

Don't bother with 17" for your Lumina, cause tires are gonna be way too much.

There is a ton of 16" styles out there... both stock and aftermarket, and tires aren't expensive at all. I got a cheap Walmart tire 225/60/16 for $80 installed (I didn't have much choice cause I had a bad tire).

C-Bad's right about the 17" tires costing 2-3 times as much as a stock W-Body 16" size of 225/60/16. When I upgraded my old Loomie's wheels, (16" Lumina LS wheels) I bought the tires at PepBoys (Futura Touring HR's) and they were only $68 per tire (mounting and balancing included.) For the price, they were some damn good tires! Now on my wife's new Impala, the stock steelies are 16's with the same size tire that we put on the Loomie, and she's begging me to throw away the shitty Goodyears that are on there and get a set of those same Futura tires :lol: .

So I guess what I'm trying to say after all of this blabbing is that the Futura Touring HR is a lotta tire for the money...

Well well... I called and talked to a guy... :bash:

This is what I can get:

4 17" ATS Venus wheels: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?mk=&yr=1999&wd=17&pc=65326&rw=7&bp=5-115&vid=001156

4 BF Goodrich Traction T/A tires: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?mk=&yr=1999&sw=false&cs=225&pc=38393&rd=17&vid=001156&ar=55

Lugnuts and valvestems he's throwing in "for free"

Damage replacement warranty, $9x4 = $36, he's only charging me $14 for.

And, $50 Mail in rebate if paid with a CarCare credit card

So, final price for all that, mounted and balanced... $528. Without the warranty: $514

Think I should go for it??

That's a helluva deal, and I say go for it. IMHO, BF Goodrich are some of the best tires out there (based on personal experience.) I don't know much about Venus wheels, but for that price, you can't go wrong.

One word of caution though: Due to your tires not being properly "Plus Sized," your speedo is going to be off a tiny bit (you'll be traveling 1 or 2 mph faster than what the speedo reads.)

Even though those wheels look like an awsome deal, they look boring. Probably nobody is buying them so they are selling them cheap. Price on tires isn't bad at all, but keep in mind if you get a flat one day or when you have to replace them all in a couple years, that will cost you more then what you are paying for this "package" deal.

Good deal, boring rims. Don't get caught up in the whole '17"' thing when you could find cooler looking wheels that are 16" and hardly anybody will be able to tell the diffence.

Thats JMO though..

Even though those wheels look like an awsome deal, they look boring. Probably nobody is buying them so they are selling them cheap. Price on tires isn't bad at all, but keep in mind if you get a flat one day or when you have to replace them all in a couple years, that will cost you more then what you are paying for this "package" deal.

Good deal, boring rims. Don't get caught up in the whole '17"' thing when you could find cooler looking wheels that are 16" and hardly anybody will be able to tell the diffence.

Thats JMO though..

You know, thanks for that... I am definitely a newbie and I, honestly, am caught up in the 17" thing... I don't actually know if 17" is a big difference visually from 16"... but these AST wheels just remind me of stock LTZ wheels on the Monte's... but I do agree they're not all that flashy. You know though, 16" rims and tires aren't cheaper :-( ... but since you said that 16" aren't really that different in appearance from 17", I'll go check those out. Anyone else think same as C-BAD?

So, what do you think... here are the 16" rims for a 99 Lumina at discounttiredirect.com .... I am not particularly thrilled about any of the ones below $100...

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchWheelsByVehicleAndSize.do?mk=&yr=1999&wd=16&rw=&vid=001156&bp=

After a little research... Okay... Another possibility, will cost about the same as the 17" rims but 16" and more practical = easier to find junkyard tires in an emergency...

Rims: Rage Vigor

Tires: Yokohama AVID Touring

Oh, yet another question... what's the difference between 225/60/16 and 215/60/16, both of which fit on these 16" rims, I guess? Also, which ones are more common and easier/cheaper to find?

Although they're not the "flashiest" wheels around, I dig those 17's you picked out just for the reason you stated (they look alot like the LTZ/Z34 wheels.) Upgrading to 17's not only gives you (marginally) better handling, but it'll help to shake off the inherent "grandma" stigma your Lumina carries. For less than the price of a set of repop and/or boneyard LTZ wheels, you can have that set of 17's, and the tires you picked out aren't too expensive either.

Personally, I think if you're going to get a set of aftermarket wheels, you gotta go bigger than what was offered stock. At least that's what I've always thought the point of buying aftermarket wheels was :shrug: ...

Personally, I think if you're going to get a set of aftermarket wheels, you gotta go bigger than what was offered stock. At least that's what I've always thought the point of buying aftermarket wheels was :shrug: ...

Stock wheels are 15"...