3.4 Alternator Removal/Install

Rabbi

ive heard this is an absolute bitch to do, But is there any info online about this?

Im debating if i should go ahead and swap a new one in since my has 130k miles on it.........

Should i even piss with it?

i can do them in about 45 minutes as well.

do it yourself, it will take you longer now, but you'll thank yourself when you still have a aditional $300 in your wallet, and then you'll know how to do it.

I did mine in 45 minutes. Give me an hour and I'll have a write up posted.

dude, that writeup is AWSOME

whats so freaking hard about that omg, I read it was an absolute nightmare.

I think my starter was a harder,or atleast seems like it would of been.

Anyway im going to give this a try tommarow night i think. Thanks for the very nice tut!

I did mine in 45 minutes. Give me an hour and I'll have a write up posted.

dude, that writeup is AWSOME

whats so freaking hard about that omg, I read it was an absolute nightmare.

I think my starter was a harder,or atleast seems like it would of been.

Anyway im going to give this a try tommarow night i think. Thanks for the very nice tut!

Not a problem. The way it's is wrote up in a service manual would take you about 4 hours, thats what they quote at a repair garage for labor anyways. The write-up on 60* would probably take about 3-4 hours as well.

The only thing i noticed on the write up is step no 2.

Remove passenger side wheel, jack up car, and place on jackstands

I have yet to figure out how to do that. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, good write up, hope i never have to use it. :wink:

The only thing i noticed on the write up is step no 2.

Remove passenger side wheel, jack up car, and place on jackstands

I have yet to figure out how to do that. :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, good write up, hope i never have to use it. :wink:

Yeah yeah yeah, you know what I meant! :lol:

Damn I needed that yesterday... my cv boots & everything were taken off to get to the alternator... it was hell. Now I know another/better way! I love this site :D

• 5 years later...

HI I'm new to this forum and have a 95 Cutlass Convertible 3.4

The car has 27,000 on it and the alternator failed at 10K and 20k so I'm concerned about 30K :think:.

I was under the impression it was mission impossible for a DIY, $400 1st time, $525 2nd time.

I could not get the link to open after several tries, is it gone or just my glitch?

HI I'm new to this forum and have a 95 Cutlass Convertible 3.4

The car has 27,000 on it and the alternator failed at 10K and 20k so I'm concerned about 30K :think:.

I was under the impression it was mission impossible for a DIY, $400 1st time, $525 2nd time.

I could not get the link to open after several tries, is it gone or just my glitch?

Hey There Brock, Not mission immpossible at all. I did this on a 94 Cutlass Vert with this writeup. I'd already paid my mechanic 600.00 to do it once. Found this site and did it myself. Took me longer than 45 minutes, most of my time was spent looking for the tools I had all over the place. LOL Oh BTW, maybe I should mention that I was a 50 year old female. If I can do it, anyone can. ;)

Kaye

its difficult, but not anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be. Took me the better part of a few days, but I had to deal with the fact that someone else had already tried and failed. Also I was missing a bolt, and the alt was already loose when I started, so I had to figure out what position it went it. If I were to do it again, I could do it in a few hours, taking my time to make sure everything is good.

I think the first time took me about 5 hours. The top bolt was holding me up. It was put in my spare bolts box.

2nd time- 2-3 hours

3rd time- 1-2 hours

4th, 5th, and maybe 6th time- 1 hour :lol:

EDIT: Actually, when I wrote that writeup, I started a timer on my cell phone, then started. Once I get it all back together, I stopped the timer, and started the car.

I think the first time took me about 5 hours. The top bolt was holding me up. It was put in my spare bolts box.

2nd time- 2-3 hours

3rd time- 1-2 hours

4th, 5th, and maybe 6th time- 1 hour :lol:

EDIT: Actually, when I wrote that writeup, I started a timer on my cell phone, then started. Once I get it all back together, I stopped the timer, and started the car.

I hope that history is not on the same vehicle :confused:

What is the story (reason) on these failures?

With the exception of this car I cannot remember an alternator failure in 25 years. All my vehicles have seen 100K before I trade.

I put 309,000 on a 97 Jimmy 4.3 and sold it with the original alternator. :think:

All the same vehicle.

Splash guard was missing (car was lowered), cooling duct was missing, the engine bay wire harness was a disaster (ended up replacing this, solved many issues). I should have never bought the car.

Took me "only" 8-hours when I did it last year. Somehow, I feel like it went much faster when I was in my 20s than in my 30s.

All my W-bodies need alternator replacement every few years, not just the 3.4. I've never had to touch the one in my truck though.

• 5 months later...

Hello slick

As you can see I am new to the W-body community and obviously years late to the alternator changing conversation. I have a 94 Pontiac GP 3.4 and due to your post im seriously considering a diy job on it. This appears to save me countless dollars and hours of headaches. Have a few questions though before I start. I have heard due to the location of the alt it will continue to burn out because of excess head of exhaust manifold. I have also heard of some sort of heat shield or covering to put in place to prevent continuous burnout. Whats your opinion on this?

I just pulled the alternator out of my 94 Cutlass Supreme Convertible today, failed rectifier inside.

Got a rebuilt one for $100 with a 1 yr warranty from a local alternator shop.

As long as you have the factory cooling duct in place, I'd say its about as good as it's going to get.

It's tough enough to get the alternator in there let alone a shield to go around it.

Nature of the beast.

As long as you have the factory cooling duct in place, I'd say its about as good as it's going to get.

I guess I never realized there was this cooling duct. I might have to check it out tomorrow if/when I work on my PS line

Depending on the year of car...91-93 (mine's a 91) there will be a insulated rubber cooling duct that is plumbed around to the backside of the alternator feeding cool air to the rectifier, that is fed from a flo thru blower motor up in front of the passenger side shock tower. This design was discontinued with the 94? model year for the above mentioned plastic duct. Replacement of the alternator on this engine is NOT one of the more pleasant jobs to do. I as well had to recently replace the alternator.