GM not a complete failure???!!!

Stevo

Can GM make a turn around to re-assert itself in the domestic market?  

1. 1. Can GM make a turn around to re-assert itself in the domestic market?

im about 45 mins west of oshawa the whole town is w bodies...its awesome :D

that's awesome!

i almost definately sure that GM will pull through...once they get some new top management :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• z34_nut

• Stevo

• 1990lumina

It would be much cheaper to keep the Canadian Plant (cheaper wages) and better build on an existing platform for a car with an entrenched 35 year history. THAT makes sense. (see 2005+ Mustang)

That was already said and done, the plant closed. I don't disagree with you that killing the f-body was dumb.

Anyway, the latest generation Monaro was heavy set with GM design group. Like Range Rover ~ Ford, Since Range Rover got bought out, it uses SEVERAL key peices and designs that Ford has innivated since the company was bought, same for jaguar. This is true for so many other companies that were bought by big name brands.

Watch how they will bill this vehicle. They will claim GTO heritage and that this vehicle is 100% american, just sitting back blowing smoke up the arses of the North American public who are deffinately smarter than that.

If you could quote that, please feel free. It talks about how the engine lives up to the heritage. Nothing about the name, nothing about how that car is 100% American. It simply claims it lives up to/continues the heritage.

It almost seems like your bent on seeing GM fail by some of these "the cup is half empty" remarks. I mean, I have my doubts, but still, a comapany as big as GM needs to fall a LONG way before a certain death.

As for Ford, well...

personally i think the b4u/m cars looks a hell of alot better than anythinhg GM is making now.

yea, i think so, but the cladding mounting design SUCKS, how the HELL do u get it on and off with out ruining ur paint. The GTO is a very high quality car, that is really comfy and is loaded, for 32k, a loaded G6 GTP w/ 240hp is about 30k, with most of the GTO's options, and 160hp less, i think that 160hp for 2k, and a nice looking 2 door sports cars well worth it. or a Bonneville GXP, over 40k, with only 270hp, or a loaded Grand Prix GTP is like 35k, so obviously it was cheaper to import the GTO. i dunno, but around here i see sooo many GM cars, brand new, or relitivly new over most imports

so obviously it was cheaper to import the GTO. i dunno, but around here i see sooo many GM cars, brand new, or relitivly new over most imports

Although I read somewhere that because of the value of the dollar, right now its cheaper to build in the US (assuming no start up costs) and export.

It's really sad to see GM in such a mess right now. They are my favorite domestic car company, even whenyou include Crystler (especially when you include crystler, although the Dodge Trucks are pretty good IMO). Their managment does suck though, and no one there seems to be really thinking up new ways to do things in the company. It's like Hollywood right now, they think that making lots of really crappy movies is going to save their butts more than making a few really good movies, even though the average joe on the street (especially one with stock in Viacom or GE) could tell you that is a really stupid idea. Very, very few in Hollywood are coming up with original concepts (or just really good concepts), and I don't really see that at GM either. They're there, they just need some attention and some money.

I like the cars Buick and Cadillac are coming out with, but they are really just targeting the 'elderly' crowd with those, except maybe the XLR. They need some bread and butter cars, like the Camry, and some cars for guys like us (the enthusiasts), like the Mustang. Chevy and Pontiac aren't producing that. The Impala and new Corvette (and maybe the GTO) are a step in the right direction, but they aren't quite there yet IMO.

I worked on the Hummer H3 project...and I can tell you that that is BY FAR the best GM suv i have ever seen..the thing drives like a million bucks compared to a trailblazer/envoy, handles good, is amazing in the snow and has GREAT brakes. The interior is very nice...the only thing that sucks is the 225hp I-5 isn't enough...the old 4.3L v6 would have been a better engine for it.

If GM spent time on every program like that...their cars would HAVE to be a hit.

All i can say is we have owned plenty of W and H body GM's along with the S/T Truck line...have been extremely happy with all of them. Not to say that they don't have their little squeaks and rattles, but they are reliable as hell!!!

personally i think the b4u/m cars looks a hell of alot better than anythinhg GM is making now.

Cladding looks cool until you come up close. Then you see how it's all "gappy" looking, especially on GPs. After I've had to remove pieces I have a hated for them now, as cool as they do look.

Out of 1st gens I still like 88-91? style SE coupes. Just a nice stripe of plastic along the bottem, no mess.

I worked on the Hummer H3 project...and I can tell you that that is BY FAR the best GM suv i have ever seen..the thing drives like a million bucks compared to a trailblazer/envoy, handles good, is amazing in the snow and has GREAT brakes. The interior is very nice...the only thing that sucks is the 225hp I-5 isn't enough...the old 4.3L v6 would have been a better engine for it.

It's also butt-ass ugly. I'd be surprised if it becomes more than just another niche market vehicle.

All of you complaining about quality, they got top honers, over, yes, toyota this year.

nuff said

Maybe on 2 or 3 models, I seriously doubt all of the GM divisions have stellar reliability records.

Aaron

All of you complaining about quality, they got top honers, over, yes, toyota this year.

nuff said

Maybe on 2 or 3 models, I seriously doubt all of the GM divisions have stellar reliability records.

Aaron

What? Quality is different the reliability.