V8 in 94 Lumina

oldman

the 4t65e-HD acts no different then in does behind the L67......if you beat the shit out your car on a regular basis, you will need to replace the trans after enough abuse......

^^^^

keep that in mind after you l67 swap your regal.....if you beat romp on it as often after the swap like you do now, you will be needing a new tranny too

Jeremey, the failure rate of the 4T65E-HD bolted to the LS4 is, without a doubt, higher than it is with the L67. There are plenty of L67 guys going into 150k miles even with some abuse. Some of these LS4 guys aren't exactly abusing their cars. I believe one should be able to take their car to an occasional WOT redline several times a week, or it defeats the purpose of having a V8.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transtutor.html

What's the difference between the 4T65E and the 4T65E-HD? IIRC it was only the axles and differential, the axles being shorter because the differentials are longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4T65E-HD was only made to handle 280lb-ft of torque. The numbers for the LS4 were already pointed out.

I will repeat myself, why did GM feel the need to bolt the massively bigger and beefier 4T80E to the N* if they could have gotten away with the 4T65E-HD, like they evidently thought they could with the LS4 powered cars? I think they knew that the N* would be too much engine for the 4T65E, and they needed something stronger. I think that before they went bankrupt, GM made a LOT of really bad decisions and neglected a lot of quality control problems, and the LS4/4T65E-HD combination was one of them. How can you say that you need a 4T80E on a 295lb-ft engine but you can do with a weaker transmission on a 323lb-ft engine? I think we all know GM better than that.

The Bonneville has 78k miles on the same transmission and makes marginally less power than the LS4 in a heavier car. That's more mileage than most people got on that form out of their Monte SS, and there are absolutely no signs of letting up. You'll be the first to know if I have any problems with this trans.

Also, I don't abuse or beat on my transmissions. There's a difference. If I do floor it to redline, I ease off into the throttle. I don't do any neutral drops, I don't light the tires, I don't do one wheel burnouts going into or out of corners, and I don't go more than 50k miles without a transmission fluid change. The Regal's transmission is still shifting perfectly.

If I do somehow grenade the 4T65E-HD, its time for a 284 swap.

Edited by xtremerevolution

actually, the 4t80 came out ~4 years before the 65e ever did...

but yeah, WTF GM?

though the 4t80 is a power sapper....

hook a northstar up to a manual trans and it comes even more alive.

all automatics are garbage 4T80's included (ask me how I know)

284 swap and call it a day

I agree automatics are garbage.

However, do tell why the 4T80E is a bad transmission from a reliability standpoint.

TCC solenoids fail routinely causing an annoying ass shudder and throws codes. $50 part. $500-$1000 labour. shift solenoids as well.

TCC solenoids fail routinely causing an annoying ass shudder and throws codes. $50 part. $500-$1000 labour. shift solenoids as well.

I'll keep my eye on that. Any way I can accelerate the problem? My warranty runs out in 14k miles.

Perhaps the fact that the Regal weighs ~250lb less than the GP GTP might help my transmission reliability.

that with the viscous solenoid or the electrical one or both?

electric solenoids. Fail from heat.

Would a beefy transmission cooler help that? One beefier than the one that already came in the Bonneville?

Maybe that's why the Regal's transmission has been so reliable. RV sized transmission cooler.

Would a beefy transmission cooler help that? One beefier than the one that already came in the Bonneville?

Maybe that's why the Regal's transmission has been so reliable. RV sized transmission cooler.

proper temps will do wonders for almost anything..

Jeremey, the failure rate of the 4T65E-HD bolted to the LS4 is, without a doubt, higher than it is with the L67. There are plenty of L67 guys going into 150k miles even with some abuse. Some of these LS4 guys aren't exactly abusing their cars. I believe one should be able to take their car to an occasional WOT redline several times a week, or it defeats the purpose of having a V8.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/transtutor.html

What's the difference between the 4T65E and the 4T65E-HD? IIRC it was only the axles and differential, the axles being shorter because the differentials are longer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 4T65E-HD was only made to handle 280lb-ft of torque. The numbers for the LS4 were already pointed out.

stock ls4 vs. stock l67 yeah the trans will last a little longer.....but most l67s get modded and once they put down numbers equal to or great then that of the ls4 (which is ub3r easy/cheap to do) they grenade themselves at a record pace too....you are foolish if you think otherwise

ironically enough, my '97 SLS had a failed TCC when I got rid of it....

stock ls4 vs. stock l67 yeah the trans will last a little longer.....but most l67s get modded and once they put down numbers equal to or great then that of the ls4 (which is ub3r easy/cheap to do) they grenade themselves at a record pace too....you are foolish if you think otherwise

I do not think otherwise. My L67 mods will be minimal for a while. I simply don't have the money and the L67 will be an insane increase over the L27, so with the exception of a cold air intake and a 3" downpipe with a 3" exhaust, it will remain stock for quite a while. I'm not saying they won't. I'm just saying that the 4T65E-HD was a bad transmission to bolt to the GP GXP/Bonne SS. They should have had two options; 4T80E or 5 speed for that kind of power.

When my 4T65E-HD grenades itself (when, not if), a 5 speed swap will be its replacement.

My L67 mods will be minimal for a while. I simply don't have the money and the L67 will be an insane increase over the L27, so with the exception of a cold air intake and a 3" downpipe with a 3" exhaust, it will remain stock for quite a while.

the plans to stay stock got thrown out the window in less then 24hours ?? :smilielol:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/46682-Project-95-GSX?p=921176&viewfull=1#post921176

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/46730-WTB-3.4-quot-or-3.5-quot-M90-Pulley

LOL.

Yeah... I figured why pay $200 for a downpipe and a cat when you can get $220 for headers which include the downpipe. Then while you have the headers, why not take advantage with a smaller pulley at the same time since Bob has to tune the PCM anyway.

awsome, thanks! and the thread goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and.........................................................................................