3.4 DOHC distributor plug O-ring

GnatGoSplat

I think there's a leak in the distributor plug (oil pump drive).

Is it possible to raise the distributor plug high enough to see the old O-ring?

Is it a better idea just to use a flat rubber gasket under the head of the plug? I have a flat rubber gasket that I think is designed for this purpose, it came with either my Fel-Pro head gasket kit or intake manifold gasket kit.

Not bloody likely. You can't really do much to it without pulling the rear head. If you want to fix it the easy way, pull the plenum and spray around it to get all the grease off. Then use some JB Weld or some epoxy to form a seal all around that sucker.

• 2 weeks later...

Just use a 33X1.5 mm O-Ring under the head of the plug, and your problem is gone. done this to my car no problem ever since :lol:

it's impossible to remove distributor plug without removing the heads

I have actually done what your descibing, its is possable on my 1996 3.4, but im not to sure about the 1995 and below because of the differances in the heads, note: this is one of those all or nothing jobs that I hate, if you pull up that o-ring and cant replace it it WILL NOT RE-SEAL, I say that because a not so smart neighbore of mine did exactly that. and it dumped about 2 quarts of oil with in 5 min of running time

Actually the oring from the battery cap of a Maglight will fit perfectly...I've done it on about three 3.4 DOHCs (91, 93, 94) without one complaint from any customers.

Jason

• 2 years later...

I use my mini air saw and cut away the excess portion of the LIM bolt boss this leaves 75% of the threads for the bolt to hold onto and alows me to raise the plug high enough to break off the old oring and stretch the new nitryl rubber oring over the top and pop it into the groove, then slap it home...

i would not rec the JB as if it leaks again you will not be able to fix it...

if anything lift it up after cleaning the area thoughroughly of oil etc (brakeclean) then spray and blow off again then spread some permatex RightStuff RTV around it (spin it to get it all the way around) then slap her home and reassemble...

119_1924.jpg

119_1905.jpg

118_1896.jpg

118_1895.jpg

Regards, James

man those pics sure help. What what about the mag lite o-ring idea. I have one i dont use. which o-ring. im up to 1 quart per aproximately two tanks of gas or 500 miles.