Coil Pack

DOHCRagtopguy

What's the easiest way to tell if a coil pack is bad? I tuned up the wife's 3.4, this thing goes like hell at hi rpm, but at cruising speed it bucks somewhat only after it is warmed up. It did this before I changed the plugs and wires, now they're new. All vac lines are hooked up right, I figure it's got to be ignition related, but I'll get a gage and check the fuel pressure tomorrow.

I know that should be about 40 PSI. But how do I check the coil pack?

Thanks all.

Guest Anonymous

Get a timing light, connect it to the battery, hook the lead on the plug wires coming from the coil one at a time, and watch for irregular spark. Do it after the car warms up and starts acting up.

Indirectly, you can pull matching plugs (a pair on one coil, you knew that), ground them the engine, and crank it over... But that's for when the car has a significant misfire. Just to add a point, something to consider too is that the ignition module (metal plate that the coil bolt into) could go out as well, but again, the misfire / dead ignition is more of a definite indication to look toward that. What about checking the resistance across somehow... I remember flippin' channels and came across "Two Guys' Garage"and they dignosed a faulty coil; anyone remeber? But, hope this helps...

- RedFox340

P.S. Redturbo... you're on the ball today... beat me again! :D