strut mounting bolts won't budge...

wally05

Hey guys, I'm replacing the rear struts on my car and I can't get the 2 mounting bolts on the strut to budge. Any advice? I have a friend coming over with an impact wrench, but that won't be till later this week and it has already been sitting on jack/stands for a week. I'm getting pissed. Also, should I stick and nut in the top of the aux. spring to keep it compressed when im removing the strut?

Korey

keep the figure 8 things compressed they are springs. now for those bolts get some pb blaster and soak em every 2 hours for about a day then try to take them out.

breaker bar. I haven't come across anything that some muscle and 24" can't get off. You're gonna probably want some good name 6 point sockets or else they'll shatter.

You might need a heat wrench...
I think he means you might have to break out the ole "Bernz-O-Matic." :lol:

If you don't have a torch of any kind, buy yourself a cheap Bernz-O-Matic "MAPP" gas set (it has 2 cans of fuel, one red, one yellow.) The MAPP gas torch heats up hotter than a regular propane torch...

do what cutlsp said and soak them with pb blaster

I would also take a ballpin hammer and firmly hit the bolts, that should give it a jolt to free up some it worked for my bolts

A breaker bar and 6point socket like joey b said would be a smart thing too

breaker bar. I haven't come across anything that some muscle and 24" can't get off.

um, on my dads trucks we've had to take a 5 foot breaker bar and jump on it to get some of the lugs off.....dang they were on there hard.

breaker bar. I haven't come across anything that some muscle and 24" can't get off.

um, on my dads trucks we've had to take a 5 foot breaker bar and jump on it to get some of the lugs off.....dang they were on there hard.

i remember doing something like that on my mom's suburban once now i have a 7' square angle iron bar i slip ove my ratchet to give me a ton of leverage :lol:

impact wrench.

thats what i needed for mine. and use a brass hammer to get the bolts out of the strut holes. chances are you will need to hit them to get them out. and a steel hammer will mess up the threads on the bolt.

impact wrench.

Ya, my dad has an industrial grade impact wrench rated at like 450 or 500 Ft/lbs.....and we still had to jump up and down on a 5' breaker bar....that was fun, it was like a pogo stick.

Haha, well, this sounds like tons of fun... oh good news though. I have a guy that is going to resheetmetal my rusted area, cover it, sand it smooth, and prime it for near nothing, yay. This car will be beautiful by the end of the summer.

Korey

hmmm... I'm not liking the words "plasma" and "cutter" being used to describe a tool to be used close to my car... makes me nervous.

Korey