Crossover question?

RedZMonte

Why would they put a flex in the crossover in the first place. its bolted to the manfiolds and to the tranny. the X-over isn't going to flex. Is there a flex in the downpipe? It would make more sence to have it in the downpipe rather then in the crossover. sence everthing is bolted to the motor and rocks with the motor. except the downpipe.

Just curious why they even added the stupid flexes..

BTW if anyone is interested in SSBraided flexes for a downpipe or for the X-over i can get them. I have a stock x-over in my hands and i am looking at making a custom one that is jet coated also i can put on any flange i want. T3 Anyone?

RedZ

Metal expansion.

Solid tube would expand. Since it's connected solidly on both ends to the manifolds and in the middle to the tranny bracket, some part in between would need to absorb the expansion.

The manifolds are also attached to aluminum heads which expand a different rates/amounts.

Even the NA cars have flex joints in their crossover pipes too.

There is a joint on the crossover where the exhaust pipe bolts onto the downpipe.

Guest TurboSedan

sorry i haven't contacted you about my crossover Shane, i've just been busy and broke :( my turbo project is on hold for a little while now :? i'm in no hurry to get it back tho, so you are welcome to use it as a template or guide to build a TGP crossover or whatever. btw, did you take the heat shields off? i was curious to see how badly it is cracked. PM me the cost of rebuilding it with the SS braided flexes or reply here. thanks man - i'd like to come down to Loveland sometime to check out your turbo project progress. i might be buying an '89 Lebaron GTS Intercooled Turbo II/A-555 5-speed soon and then maybe i can finally get my Turbo CS project started. i just need to find that money tree (like a tax return) later,

joshua

Thats cool, Its just chilln in my closet. I have not cracked the heat shields yet. as for repairing the flexes with SS Braided ones, it will be cheap. and i have some stuff going into jet coating anyways so i might just toss it in if your interested.

I know of a couple Saab T3's for ~$125ea if your interested. they look very clean and NO wheel play.

RedZ

Hey Red...

Have you done any exhaust manifold porting or are you just cleaning them up and sending them in for Jet coating? How much are they charging you for Jet coating? Last but not least :wink: ...where are you getting the Jet coating done?

When does Bandimere open up again? I wanna see what my chip does in the 1/4!! 8)

For Jet or powder coating, ask Shane. He'll make sure the work is quality and take care of shipping. The work looks awesome.

Malibuolds- If you wanna check out that turbo or intercooler, lemme know. I'll be teaching at the ski area tomorrow, but probably back by 5 or so. I think I'll be getting down to Ft Collins (to Shanes) this weekend to try installing the IC. (307) 680-0914

Tim

Guest TurboSedan

cool. i don't have a phone at the moment (hopefully within the week) and i can only get online once or twice a week. i'd like to check out your turbo project and maybe you can check out mine. my cell is (307) 760-4915 but probably won't work for a few days yet....

btw, i've never ridden in a DOHC car before and i'm interested in how they pull - you can check out a 5-speed W-body while your at it too :)

joshua

RedZ - let me know about that crossover thanks :)