high output alternator

cutlass1991

has anyone upgraded theirs? I want to bump up the electrical system so that it will handle the stereo equipment. (duh)

what is the most cost effective way of doing this? I read about something called an Iceberg upgrade kit, but didn't see it on JCWhitney. Any input will be a big help.

-Dan

hmm.. that is interesting. I am curious if the alt. you have for sale would work on the 91 cutlass with a 3.1. It looks very similar to the one that is on there now.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how many amps is output on the stock alts.

• 2 weeks later...

damn I really "need" this alternator. I just finished my system and it's pretty obvious the amps are starving for power. I just have to save a little more money. I hope it will still be available.

I think the stock alternator only putting out 80 amps or something at idle...so that might be why your amps are starving if you showing off your system at a show of some sort.

- Jeff L.

I dont think the alternator should be your first concern. Upgrade the big three, And add a better battery like an Optima first. I have seen Nissans with 60 amp alternators running 2000rms+ with out any dimming.

Thats what I did first. Then when my alternator finaly let go I had it custom wound to 137 amps. I then added a 2 farad capacitor and I dont go below 13v at any point with the car running.

He's right..Do the battery first..If you still have problems then you might look into a high output alt..I'd contact Powermaster..They have a great reputation in the alt industry and several World Championship cars have used them with no problems...