Tires

supreme_style21

I need new tires. And tires are something I know nothing about. I don't race the car.. I don't need 900 mph rated tires. I just need a nice, smooth, quiet set. I'd like something that performs well in the snow as well as the rain.. I know thats hardly possible, but a nice median would be fine. In the past, I've always bought them based on warranty... 80,000 mile tires... they've obviously been a hard rubber, which equals a lot of hum at higher speeds. What is a respectable set? What brands are good and which are bad?

I guess snow is more important than rain. The car spends half the year rutting around in the snow.. But I want an overall smooth highway ride no matter what. If that means compromising snow/rain handling, so be it.

My Lumina has Cooper all season tires on it right now (I could find the model if you wanted, I don't what they are off hand)

I too rut through snow and ice for more then half the year...the past winter went good with them, they are in between hard and soft...and they are very quiet at highway speeds. Actually, I was surprised last winter when it snowed my car was the only car to break a trail out of the crescent without getting stuck - very impressive because we have some really nice AWD cars on my street lol...

In rain they perform nice, however they will slip if you go hard off the line with them (damn near matting the pedal in my Lumina lol)

They corner nice, and have an overall good feel to them.

When I need to buy new tires I'll be looking at Cooper again - although many on this board have said how Cooper tires always leak and stuff...I haven't had one problem with them yet.

Then again, I'm not a race car driver, and I drive defensively 95% of the time so any decent tire would work for me I guess.

- Jeff L.

I'll join the masses and say I've had Coopers before. They performed well for .. oh 30k or so.. then they always leaked. At any given time, I had 2 tires always going flat over a few days. I was really impressed with them up until that point. But when they were in their prime, they were spectacular tires.

As of now, I've got 4 old Cooper tires in my garage... 3 are bulged and cracked.

Id go with michelin tires, a little more expensive but well worth the money and plus they make tires exactly for what your looking for

Id go with michelin tires, a little more expensive but well worth the money and plus they make tires exactly for what your looking for
Yeah I had mx4's on my cutlass. They were awesome in the snow! We on there for a good 50k and still good when I traded it off.

Unless you buy Michelin snow tires, you won't be going anywhere in the snow.

I say this because my mom's Acura CL came with Michelin tires, (she only has 13,000 miles on this 6 year old car), adn they are absolutely the shittiest tires in winter - however in summer they perform aweosme and hold the road with ease.

The rubber on them is hard as hell...I drove her car twice last winter and ended up using 2nd gear start just to get going off the line....

Michelin probably has some other tires that are a happy medium though like you want.

Well, the Coppers I have have at least 60,000miles on them, they still grip great (grandma drove it for most of those miles) and aren't worn down much at all.

Nothing is leaking yet (*knock of wood*) and fingers crossed lol

- Jeff L.

If you want something really good in the snow, and if you have the money, I would get a set of junker steelies, and put studded snow tires on them. That's what I run on my car and i would never go back to all seasons in the winter. i have studded Uniroyal Rallye M+S tires and they are awsome for rutting through the snow.

Yeah I had mx4's on my cutlass. They were awesome in the snow! We on there for a good 50k and still good when I traded it off.

I have Michelins MXV4+ on my GTP

handled like a dream in the snow.

I have no idea how many miles ive put on them so far, lol.

Worth the price though IMHO

Check out tirerack.com. They have testimonials and ratings for all different makes. I've had Continental ContiExtremeContact all season performance tires before and they were amazing. They have a directional tread design and are great for dry, wet or snowy roads.

Mastercraft on the Cutlass - Awesome in the snow and rain, till they wore out. Then it got real fun. Fast. In a bad way....damn back of the car wanted to drive...but again, up until that point they were really good!!

I then put Goodyear Ealge TA's (I think...got 'em from sears) and it was great in the snow. Also very LOW road noise. I think I got 'em on sale for like $74/tire.

michelin hydroedge tires are supposed to be great. all i know so far is what dosen't work well in the snow. and firestone affinitys are on that list. i like coopers, but they are too soft if you ask me and don't last long enough. this time i'm trying some kellys on my car.

but honestly find a set of steelies and pickup a used set of snow tires from the junkyard for the winter. thats what i'm gona do this year. since 14s are common i can get used snow tires dirt cheep.

well, if you're gonna be driving in the snow alot, DO NOT get yokahama avid h4s' ...they are great in the dry weather or even in the rain...but, things got a kinda crazy in the snow (especially when i slid into the ditch) :cuss:

Michelin Ax4 is what I use. apart from My Cutt I also have boneville that also uses the ax4's and they handle great in the colorado snow and in the Arizona Heat.

I've got 225/60R16 's on my Regal GS and I went with the BFGoodrich Traction T/A's in the 'T' rated which seem to be a good all around tire. They are directional and are real good on dry and wet roads as well as getting biting traction in the snow, and they are a quiet highway tire. They are also rated at 70,000 miles on the treadwear. Mine have about 4,500 miles on them and they look new. Overall, I'm very happy with them.

I've got Duralon Vertex IVs on the Cutlass, they wear well and I've never had any problems getting around. You can check them out at home of economy. I think I've had vertex IVs on both my Cutlasses.