Rear End Sag..Any known fixes??

veritasz34

Like most older W bodies, mine has the sag also..I'm going to replace the struts very soon..I'm sure this will help some but not alot..Beside the coil over route (Thanks to comments here I'm not going to take that one) what can be done to make this better..

Does this require a full replacement of the rear leaf??

How does the Moog pads help (Or similar)??

[ If in fact I have to replace the rear leaf,can I get a beffier one to handle the stress the audio system places on the car??]

Any help is greatly appreciated before I tear into her...Thanks...

Struts have nothing to do w/ that (they just dampen the spring oscillations). GOtta replace the spring/rear leaf. That is what carries the vehice/all the weight.

Always go moog - they are the best IMHO...

How much is your audio system going to weight? The stronger the spring = the stiffer the ride...

look into the birchmount rear spring (spelling?) they can make a custom spring for you, i'm sure they can make one to stock specs. Do a search on the forum to get the contact info. Hope this helps Later Jay

Let it sag and add ST or Intrax springs up front to match. :)

Well, KYB struts will help a lot. The gas charge in them is pretty strong, it raised my car 3/4" on the rear. That's why when you take off the retaining strap, those suckers pop right up and takes some force to push back in.

88-89 rear springs from FE3 cars also don't sag and are pretty stiff. You might try one of those. Mine looked like a 4x4 with the original spring.

If you want to keep the stock rear spring, I would just go get some MOOG leaf helpers.

I can't seem to find them but they go between the body of the car, and the mono-leaf.

Take the 200lbs of MDF, speakers, amps, fibreglass and carpet out of your trunk. Voila! No more sag. :lol: Now seriously, NAPA sells poly helper blocks that slip under the ends of the monoleaf.

my car sat higher in the back when i replaced the struts...probably close to a full inch.

I would use an FE3 leaf (read DOHC cars) if i was going to replace it.

Add a rear sway bar while you are at it if you don't have one.

88-89 rear springs from FE3 cars also don't sag and are pretty stiff. You might try one of those. Mine looked like a 4x4 with the original spring.

Mine still does :lol:

Seems most 88-90 springs don't sag, even FE1

Thanks guys..Yes the system in the car adds alot of stress to the suspension but removal is not an option..I compete professionally in IASCA sanctioned events..I'm getting ready for a system upgrade after I get a few little things fixed here and there..

since you have that added weight i would see if you can still get the moog helper springs for our cars i'm sure someone here has some of them that they will sell for cheap.

my car sat higher in the back when i replaced the struts...probably close to a full inch.

My GP is just an SE with the 3100 and it "had" FE3. You don't need a DOHC to have FE3.

My GP is just an SE with the 3100 and it "had" FE3. You don't need a DOHC to have FE3.

You sure, it says it on the RPO sticker? Wow I thought all FE3's had to have the 3.4 option, or what ever the highest motor was in the year (3.1 up to 91)

My 1990 Lumina has F41 suspension (as I've been told same thing as FE3), but there was no 3.4 in that year, so maybe that's why. My ass end sags to, I've just gotten used to it, but if you find something to fix the sag do tell!

- Jeff L.

I wonder what the effect of a set of helper springs would do the rear end sag??and the overall rear suspension in general??Any ideas??Does anyone have a fix other than lowering the front end to get rid of the classic Z34 lean??

You sure, it says it on the RPO sticker? Wow I thought all FE3's had to have the 3.4 option, or what ever the highest motor was in the year (3.1 up to 91)

FE3 in my 95 SE. Not sure if you're still talking pre 94 cars.

My 90 Granny mobile project "cavas" if you will actually rides higher than my Euro did.. Roughly the same mileage.. My Euro sagged in the back as bad as a set of Monte Carlo doors.. Maybe the F41 suspension I had was the casue.. I am going to keep the leaf there with my KYBs and see what happens.. Just thought I would share..

Mine is saggin an inch lower in the rear, you cant tell from the pic here, i don't know? it must have happened since I took the pic. I havent decieded to lower the front or not. How do you change that rear leaf, a buddy told me there is some crazy special tool?

What are these ffp coilovers?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here in my '90 euro "F41" -- got KYB's x 4, much better ride now but still have a little tire rub on the right rear with peeps in the back . I had the MOOG helpers and was VERY stiff ride even after I trimmed them down a couple of inches that helped but not completely.

Mark