Rear 6x9's

KingArthur

Has anyone cut the back deck of a 90-94 Lumina to put the 6x9's on top instead of mounting them on the bottom? I know it will sound better on top but was wondering about the gap between the deck cover and the metal where the speaker mounts.

did it on a 95 monty carlo and put them in from the top sounds alot better then before. so they are just mounted to the carpeted deck lid there was about a 1 inch gap from the old mounting place thou. but it worked out great.

I don't see how moving them up an inch higher is going to make them sound better. The sound is just going to reflect off the rear window at the same angle anyway. And unless you could fabricate some sort of steel mount that was solid, mounting them to the flimsy deck cover is gonna make them sound worse.

I don't see how moving them up an inch higher is going to make them sound better. The sound is just going to reflect off the rear window at the same angle anyway. And unless you could fabricate some sort of steel mount that was solid, mounting them to the flimsy deck cover is gonna make them sound worse.

I agree with you about mounting them to just the carpet but moving them from the bottom to the top makes a world of diffence. Its like removing a wool blanket off the speakers... They play so much clearer.

Why would it matter how clear rear speakers sound?

Any car audio guy will tell you it's the front speakers you need to focus on.

That's why I used the feature on my Pioneer Premier CD/MP3 deck to direct just the bass to the rears, rather than the full range sound. Basically it uses my rears as subs, though I know they're not as efficient or good-sounding.

I tried the front stage sound before and just didn't like to sound... I like the full sound of all four. I'm the kinda guy that you hear coming with bass and tweeters kicking. I think you get better mids and highs when on the top. I see alot of newer cars with the speaker mounted on the top instead of the bottom do to better clarity(Infinity and Bose) is a good example.