POR15...does it really work?

19Cutlass94

i coated my entire exaust pipe and rear suspension frame with walmart brand rust remover and flat black spray paint. it seemts to have taken all the rust off and now its protecting against it.. atleast until next winter.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• J

• terryk2003

• THe_DeTAiL3R

today I went out and picked up some por15, I got a quart so I figure that should be more than what I need.

Is there any body panels that I should remove, like the side skirts, to get to any "hidden" rust or anything thats there, just to protect those spots better :?:

LuminaMan93, I know you said that you have used it and has lasted 5 years so far, but how long would it hold up driving during the winter and the harsh salt and all that shit cuz im sure that your not going to drive that truck in winter, its a good weather truck im sure

today I went out and picked up some por15, I got a quart so I figure that should be more than what I need.

Is there any body panels that I should remove, like the side skirts, to get to any "hidden" rust or anything thats there, just to protect those spots better :?:

I'd get up in the inside of the fenders, I'd also do the edge of the hood (just be careful not to get it on the exterior paint). Those seem to be the cancer areas I've experienced with my GPs.

do I need to sand off all the existant rust? How much should I plan on spending to do the underside of my car?

No you do NOT need to sand the existing rust... It works better if you apply it to rust....and No I am NOT joking....

Go to POR15.com , and look at the FAQ's....

once I start undercoating my car next week Ill put up some before and after pics to show everyhow much of a difference it makes and such

for about 35 bucks a quart, this stuff better work as good as its advertised for :!: :!: :!:

while i have the car up on jack stands when I undercoat it, should I replace the bushing with the polyurethane bushing from RSM racing? how much of a difference does that make?

I have not tried por15 but I do use "Corroless" from eastwood. You can paint it right over rust, they recommend you wire brush the rust first. They claim it is used on oil platforms in the sea. try not to get that on your hootus either

corroless is just zinc cromate primer, right? i've been thinking about using zinc cromate as a brush-on primer when i finally get around to painting my car

So the way I understand, if you put it on existing rust, it will prevent it from spreading, correct? If thats the case, i will remove any existing rust, then apply this that way it will prevent any from from starting.

yeah, if theres something rusted on your car, you scrape off the rust and put por15 on it and it will prevent it from rusting again, same with new parts, you can put por15 on them and it will prevent those parts from rusting

yeah, if theres something rusted on your car, you scrape off the rust and put por15 on it and it will prevent it from rusting again, same with new parts, you can put por15 on them and it will prevent those parts from rusting

Ok then, next question. Can you paint over it?

yeah, POR15 makes a topcoat that can be applied directly over the por15 rust preventor. although the only reason you would need a topcoat, other than making it nice and shiny and such, would be that if it was going to be exposed to sunlight. they also tell you ways that you can paint over it with any paint you would like.

(I ordered a free mag from them and read all this stuff many times, they have soo much stuff)

i used it on the floor and trunk of my 54 9 years ago, still looks new under my carpet.

also used it on the corvette's rear Y pipe 8 years ago, was a cheapo parts store one. i put it on and let it rust for a couple weeks, then coated it in POR-15. hasnt rotted yet.

it's the best thing since sliced bread.

yeah basically I just undercoated underneath the car, the parts that needed it cuz some still had the factory coating on it. also just a few spots such as up front in the engine bay, really hard to see, and around the fenders and such