POR15...does it really work?

19Cutlass94

Ive heard alot about POR15 and Ive been needing to undercoat my car so she doesnt rust out from driving in winter with this damn salt around here and I was wondering, is everything said about this product true? does it really work like they say it does?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 19Cutlass94

• J

• terryk2003

• THe_DeTAiL3R

I've heard nothing but good things from people who have used it. I will need to pick some up myself, soon. Need to start attacking some spots on the better of the 2 AWDs before it starts looking like your average A-body.

before winter i ground down a small spot of rust on the inner lip of my rear wheelwell. i ground it down and coated the whole area in POR15. 6+ months later its still holding up and the rust has not advanced since.

Is there a website for this stuff...I'm interested to know what it is. Is it like an undercoating of sorts?? Or some new technology that is better??

- Jeff L.

I just started doing "touch up" bodywork on my car, and when taking off the B4U shit of course, there is rust. I'd like to try that out if it's available (and cheap :lol: ). The grinder does the rest of the work :twisted:

Guest TurboSedan

i will be helping my brother paint on Metal Ready & POR-15 later this week. he's painting the entire rear axle & suspension on his Omni GLH Turbo, as well as the front K-frame & control arms etc. i might be doing this to my cars soon.

note to self....do not get POR-15 on my hands :lol:

It's well worth the buy. When I did my resto on my Chevelle I painted the frame with POR15 and then painted over that. I did the insides of the fenders too. On the Lumina, I used it all over underneath the rear doors and on my gas tank.

Yeah DO NOT get it on anything you do not want it on (car's paint, your hands, a random pet ) it will not come off worth a shit.

Oh, and if any of you do buy it, after you open the can for the first time, you have to put saran wrap between the cover and the stuff. It supposedly keeps the actual liquid from drying up. Either I don't do this right or nothing prevents this stuff from hardening because if you go back to use the same can again, you need to use a drill to break through the top layer that hardens. A hammer will not work; it gets too hard.

If this is the only downfall, then it's not so bad.

:smilielol: :smilielol:

within the next week Im going to be undercoating my car with this stuff, so if the only downfall is that you cant get it any place you dont want it, sounds like some pretty good stuff

seems like it lasts pretty long too

The entire underside of my car is coated in POR-15.

NOTE!!!

In order for the stuff to work correctly, it has to be applied to bare metal.

I sanded down as much of my underside as I could with a palm sander, and a wire brush, then brushed the stuff on... I did this when I was replasing my gas tank, so I did above the tank area as well.....

Now I can look under the car and laugh at the salt spray :lol:

My dad and I used the POR15 when we started restoring our 53 International pickup back in 2000. We sanded down the whole frame and covered it with the POR15. So far, in 5 years, there hasn't been any rust. We were pretty impressed with the results.

And yea, don't get that stuff on you, it takes forever to come off.

I have not tried por15 but I do use "Corroless" from eastwood. You can paint it right over rust, they recommend you wire brush the rust first. They claim it is used on oil platforms in the sea. try not to get that on your hootus either

basically what Im going to do is just sand down the metal then use a wire brush then clean the metal really good, probably with brake clean then just paint over that, or should I not use the brake clean because of the chemicals in it?

undercoating the whole bottom of the car plus maybe the trunk and a few spots in the engine bay could take a while but according to everyone, its well worth it :!: