SL package

godofthunder

Hey, I have a 96 CS, so of course, all of them were SL's, right?

What does that stand for? When looking at my window sticker, I would think the Sport Luxury package. Is this true?

My friend thinks I have a granny car, what shoudl I tell her?

Jon

She is the proud owner of a 96-97 Taurus (One of those bubble ones). While she never would race, I let her know that I would whip her. She says the look (of being a sedan) makes it granny. She thinks the coupes CS are nice. I feel that the sedan sure looks sporty too.

But I was trying to prove that this was known as a sport/luxuary/touring sedan. Any ammo? All I have so far is that they were used in NASCAR and NHRA, but also in touring races. any more ideas, esp. with sedans?

Jon

hey i read somewere that the CUtlass Supreme is the #4 stolen car, not sure if it was nation wide or just here in my area. The ones before the cutty were all rice mobiles, so something to be proud about :cheers:

not sure if its a good thing but grandprix34 beat me to the punch, about the #4 stolen car, not only this year, the past several years different cutlasses have been on the list, I was excited when my old cutty style was on the list.

please noone take offense to this but i see absolutley no logic in being proud your car made the list of most stolen. i understand that it glorifys your car by showing it was popular, but at the same time you loose 2 things 1)now your car is saught after by professional thieves and 2)If you think long and hard about it, why would a thief want your car so bad? its because when its stripped down for parts, your cars parts sell faster and for more than other cars. if people need parts for that particular car that bad, doesnt that tell you something?

i like the fucking idiots that go out and buy and accord or camry becasue they discovered it tops that list. "oh its so reliable and popular theives cant wait to get their hand on it! Ill take three! oh and throw on one of your factory alarm systems that cost $500 a piece and do a shittier job of protecting my car than just leaving your doors unlocked. thatll fix it" bullshit. accords and camrys are not reliable, they are just priced a non-negotiable $3,000 over dealer invoice to make you think they are reliable. i dont see any camry's hittin 250k miles. any car treated and maintained the right way will make it just as far as the next car. if u ask me those 2 cars are shittier than any other midsize in its category

oh, and if you were joking about it, then just ignore this 8)

Hell Yea! American Cars all the way man! The main problem toyota and honda has had was failing to realize that an engine that will run forever is worthless if the car is built like shit. I dunno about the current ones but every Japanese car I have ever been in has terrible build quality, your scared to close the door too hard and there design is slightly behind the times. I had a Corolla for a rental car a few months ago and the driving postion was terrible, you couldn't even reach the radio with out stretching so far you had to let go of the wheel. For all their technology I am amazed at the things they can't do. Like ummmm TORQUE and sticking a 4 banger in every car you make may not be the answer.

Jason

People don't realize that the stolen list- the name "cutlass" refers to like 4 separate cars! Trust me, if thieves want to make decent $ they don't steal american. Price the drivers door of a Cutlass Supreme, then price the door of an Audi or Saab.

how is it the benchmark? where did you get that from. im speaking on experience of being with my parents trying to buy one, and driving one. bottom line is they are shitty cars. theres is nothing special that constitutes them being so overpriced, and i havent seen use of cheap shitty plastic throughout the interior of car since a late model chrysler LHS. even if it was made with top quality material, its still the most plain, ordinary, boring, suckiest car ive even been in. again i cannot see how paying a dealer 3 grand justifies buying a shittier car becasue its now "reliable." Maybe if the COST of the the car was slightly higher than normal, but no. that is far from the case

Guest RedCutlassSL

GM has the worst interiors. The Camaro and Corvette come to mind. Have you sat in a late model Toyota? Yeah, some of the interiors are uninspiring, but the quality is there. Its evident in the feel, the sound of the door slamming shut, and its just evident from everything.

haha the "door shutting sound test" we can all admit to doing this. and i think we can all admit our w-bodys do NOT make that clean nice sounding door shut sound. i try not to judge a car by its door shutting sound, but it always leaves an impression. i will admit the camry does have a nice door shutting sound, but then again dont all imports? my moms sable has the best one that ive ever heard. its really really smooth and makes a quick whoosh sound as the air flys out of the moldings.

Maybe I am nuts but every Toyota door I have ever closed felt as if it was about to break off the hinges. Not to mention they use plastic on everything, I don't know about the new ones but I have been in many Camry's with broken interior handles due to shitty plastic. As for the interior I'll take my "flat dash" Cutlass Interior anyday over a Toyota. I can reach everything and it feels roomy. Just some food for though, Toyota sells the Camry as the largest car they make. Try taking the wife and 2 kids cross country in that piece!

Jason

When I shut the door to any toyota over 6 years old, it sounds like I threw a rock at a tin can! And thanks for making the car's metal frame visible throughout the interior, makes me feel all fuzzy inside! What my opinion is, would be it's much easier to have a better build quality when there's less to build! having a flat piece of vinyl for a door panel means no worries of "hollow" plastic to rattle or make noise, or break apart, but now you have a flat inside door panel with a crudely bolted on armrest with the frame of the door showing around the perimeter!

It's also easy for Toyota seats to last longer, because the fabric and (lack of) foam do not have to constantly compress and stretch, because the seats are hard as wood! Then we can get into how the instrument clusters last longer because they aren't backlit, just have one bulb shining on the gages, and how the climate controls don't break because you have this huge plastic lever clicking into settings. HEadliners last longer because they're just cold white vinyl. ALright I'll stop myself here.

Me and a buddy of mine joke all the time about Toyota seat because his parents own nothing but. Get some plywood, through some fabric over it and you made yourself your very own Toyota seat for 98% less then what they charge for it.

Jason

hahaha toy-autos blow. good luck putting an aftermarket HU in a brand new camry. the dash and upper console have more diagonal mounting and curves than the cars rims! oh but wait.....old people who pay 19 grand for a boring shitty car wont have any money left over becasue they sacraficed it to spend it all on their "reliable" car :lol: