HELP, i have a subwoofer wiring dilema

frozen_flame77

Okay, so I just bout 2 12" infinity kappa perfect subwoofer. along with a 2-channel soundstorm 1300 watt amp. if i wire it stereo, each sub only gets 265 watts at 4 ohms. i'd like to give them a bit more, considering that they are rated at 350 rms but i have heard tales of them handling 600 rms easy. plus, i have a 1300 watt amp, i want to use it. just wondering if anybody knew what other options i had, since the subwoofers are single voice coil 4 ohm. is there a way to wire it stereo but make the load to the amp 2-ohm?? any help would be appreciated

Yes. You wire them in parallel. (connect both positives from the speakers to the positive of the amp and do the same with the negatives) This will give you a 2 ohm load at the amp. Just make sure the amp can handle a 2 ohm load in the bridged config.

Update- I just looked up the specs on your amp. It is not rated for 2 ohm operation mono. If you do it, you risk damaging your amp. Your best bet is to hook each sub to a channel and go with the reduced power output. Either you need different subs or a different amp to get more power. Sorry

Update2- I just re-read your question. The only way to get full power of out that amp is to provide a 4 ohm load bridged. Any other way you try to do it with the speakers you have, you are going to get the same power. 4 ohms stereo = 2 ohms 1 side of stereo = 8 ohms bridged.

Glock

my amp's manual says it is 2 ohm stable...the proper name for the amp is Soundstorm Stretch Daddy D650.2 , maybe that will help. i get 1300 watts bridged, but they don't tell me if that is in a 2 ohm load or 4 ohm. so like, if i hook it up bridged, what load would i be pulling?

This is all I can find...

Soundstorm D650.2 Stretch Daddy 2 Channel Amplifier Car Amp

Brand: SoundStorm

Condition: New

RMS Power Output: 260W x 2 @ 2 Ohm

Peak Power Output: 650W x 2 @ 2 Ohm

Birdged Output: 1300 x 1 @ 4 Ohm

Signal To Noise Ratio: 105dB

Frequency Response: 9Hz-50kHz

Bass Boost: 18dB

THD @ 4 Ohm RMS Power: 0.01%

Ohm Load Stability: 2 Ohm

Low Level Input: Yes

Built in Cooling Fan: No

Bass Control Knob: Yes

Dimensions: 13"W x 2-5/8"H x 9-1/8"L

It is 2 Ω stable in stereo and only 4 Ω stable in bridged. If it were 1 Ω stable in stereo , then it would be 2 Ω stable in bridged.

With the 2 SVC 4Ω speakers that you have you have 4 ways of wiring them.

1. Wire them in series for an 8 Ω load and connect them to the bridged output of the amp. This will give you 325w max to each speaker

2. Wire each speaker to a channel of the amp 4 Ω on each channel. This will give you 325w max to each speaker.

3. Wire them in parallel for a 2 Ω load, connect them to one side of the 2 channel amp (leaving the other side open which is probably not a good idea) and get 325w max to each speaker.

4. Wire them in parallel for a 2 Ω load, connect them to the bridged out put and melt down the amplifier (not a good idea)

Like I said before, no matter which way you connect them you are going to get the same power. You have a load mis-match which can only be corrected by getting different subs (ex.2 DVC 4 Ω) or a 2 Ω stable mono amplifier.

Glock

oh cool...you've been a great help...yeah, i'm kinda kicking myself for not buying the dual voice coil version of the subs i have for the same price...STUPID STUPID STUPID!!