Need new tires (suggestions?)

sl3196

Well time for new tires for the GTP. (at least the rears need replaced) Looking for something fairly cheap, good traction at the track, and all weather traction. Don't have the money to have different sets of tires for summer and winter. Also I plan on buying two soon and then buying the other two shortly after so they have to be available for a while. Ideas? TIA

Pirrelli PZero Rossi Asymetric tires. Cant get much better then these for all around traction. Good in dry and wet conditions. not wonderful in the snow, but bad either. Ice can be alittle shady, but still not bad.

I have them on my Cirrus. Thing carves corners better then it was ever designed to.

Guest TurboSedan

are you buying 225/60s Dan?

i'm buying a set of four 205/60-15 Kumho ECSTA HP4 716s for my GTS tomarrow (only $44/tire!). the same tire in a 225/60-16 size is only $59/tire but that size is on backorder right now. the Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 has an excellent rating on tirerack.com and are classified as a Grand Touring All-Season tire. you might also look at the Yokohama Avid Touring tires; they are only $59/tire and have an excellent rating as well.

are you buying 225/60s Dan?

i'm buying a set of four 205/60-15 Kumho ECSTA HP4 716s for my GTS tomarrow (only $44/tire!). the same tire in a 225/60-16 size is only $59/tire but that size is on backorder right now. the Kumho ECSTA HP4 716 has an excellent rating on tirerack.com and are classified as a Grand Touring All-Season tire. you might also look at the Yokohama Avid Touring tires; they are only $59/tire and have an excellent rating as well.

Yeah buying stock size. I was looking at the traction t/a's and avid touring tires at tire rack. Think I may go with the traction t/a's.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't go for anything by Yokohama whether it is an Avid H4S or V4S, they are over priced and traction isn't good. We sell these at work and I hear the complaints.

BFG T/A's are your best bet by far.. Best traction and best wearing tires.

Don't go for anything by Yokohama whether it is an Avid H4S or V4S, they are over priced and traction isn't good. We sell these at work and I hear the complaints.

BFG T/A's are your best bet by far.. Best traction and best wearing tires.

I have the H4S on my '92 'euro... Best tire I've had (for anything but deep snow), bar none... $67 each at Tire Rack... Traction AA, Temperature A, Treadwear 500. They also come with a 60,000 mile treadlife warranty... (The Traction T/A is AA, A, 440 BTW, but also has a 60k warranty) That kind of stuff happens when you use silica to bond your rubber mollicules together instead of carbon chains... unlike most of the Goodyear stuff...

The sidewall is a little soft at 33psi, but gets rock hard about 39-40psi, and they're a 44psi max tire, so those pressures aren't a problem... This is also good when you want a soft ride for the highway, but have GR-2 struts... Just lower them to 33-34psi and roll down the highway in comfort, and pump them up to 40 or so when you're going to be tearing up the corners... Or you can just leave them at 40 all the time and they'll be just like something with a hard sidewall... I've found that the best compromise with these tires and the GR-2 struts is 39 front, 34 rear for all kinds of driving... done.

I can kindof get them to break loose (not spin, mind you... just break loose) when I floor it from a stop while turning, but have only ever kicked the ABS on in a 38 degree pouring rain with a 2-footed pannic stop from 70... The ABS only blipped twice when I went through 2 deep puddles.

It is fairly common to have uni-directional tires grip better on the "stopping" end of things too... that's the way they're designed...

Because of the rolled edges of the tire, which are great for wet and dry traction, and the lack of siping in the tires, they're just "OK" in the snow... I drove them all winter in the snow, but they're just "OK." They aren't bad enough for me to want snow tires though, but they're not NEARLY as good as the Michelin X-Ice's that I have on my wife's Neon in the winter either...

All and all... the best tire for the money as far as I'm concerned...

BTW, what kind of complaints are you hearing?? And are you sure you aren't talking about the H4 and V4 instead of V/H4S?? Everywhere I called had to special order them and nobody stocked them in any size...

Mike

Edit: By the way, I am consistantly amazed at how much traction the H4S's have in the rain, cornering and everything... I consistantly find myself driving in the rain down curvy roads at a speed I wouldn't have driven with my old tires in the dry...

I have the Bridgestone RE-950. Had them for 30k, and have about 5 k left in them. Awesome tire in all regards, but they are a bit pricey @$125 ea.

I would get them again but I will be going to 17in rims and they don't come in that size.

Glock

Sl, I bought a set of Goodyear Tripple Tred tires. I shopped around and everywhere I went, I was told they were the best all weather / season tires out there.

tires.jpg

Drew