93CutlassSupreme

Bulletins for 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme FWD V6-173 2.8L

Safety Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title

1. 97016 MAY 97 Recall - Rear Cradle Bolt Retainer Corrosion

does anyone have more info about this?

is it still in effect?

thanks

Probably after getting pissed off at the dealer and stuff they would do it for free...I know GM wouldn't honor my dash pad recall...but your's is a little more serious!

- Jeff L.

Here's the recall info from the NHTSA.

Make: BUICK

Model: REGAL

Type: ANY

Year: 1988

Recall Number: 00V189000

Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WHERE ROAD SALT USE IS HEAVY. A CONDITION WHERE ONE OR BOTH FRONT ENGINE CRADLE BOLTS CAN PULL THROUGH THE RETAINERS DUE TO CORROSION OF THE RETAINERS.

Consequence:

IF BOTH BOLTS PULL THROUGH, THE FRONT OF THE CRADLE WOULD NO LONGER BE SUPPORTED AT THE MOUNTING LOCATIONS AND THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT COULD SEPARATE FROM THE STEERING GEAR.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR FRAME/CRADLE BOLTS AND RETAINERS.

Notes:

OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN SEPTEMBER 28, 2000. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, BUICK AT 1-800-521-7300, PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

It is good for all W-Body's. If the dealer doesn't do the recall, call the number listed and watch them crumble to your feet.

My bolts fell out when I was driving last year. I called all the dealers around with the info, and all but one said it wasn't valid. Ended up getting it fixed for free from the one dealer that did care.

Problem was that they would look up my vin but no open recalls would come up. So print out the 10 or so page recall info and go to the dealer.

My bolts fell out when I was driving last year. I called all the dealers around with the info, and all but one said it wasn't valid. Ended up getting it fixed for free from the one dealer that did care.

Problem was that they would look up my vin but no open recalls would come up. So print out the 10 or so page recall info and go to the dealer.

could someone link me to the 10 or so page recall info?

there should be a sticky about this containing USEFUL info about this recall.....it's a dangerous problem that is sadly common

:werd:

The recall only covers up to '91 Jay. Also when was there a dashpad recall? And the cradle bolts should cover Canada.

kev do you have that GM Campaign sticker on the firewall? if you have one its probably been taken in for the recall.

Good luck. I called like 4 dealers and none said they had any open recalls, and even when I printed that shit out, none honored it, they all said that their computers didn't say there were any open recalls on my vehicle, when it was bullshit, the cradle bolts were popping like mad.

I honestly wouldn't even waste my time, and I'd find a shop that'd do it. I found a shop that was going to do my bolts for ~$160 or so. Then I didn't have the cash.

I honestly wouldn't even waste my time, and I'd find a shop that'd do it. I found a shop that was going to do my bolts for ~$160 or so. Then I didn't have the cash.

Then your engine fell out of the bottom of your car.. :lol:

Then your engine fell out of the bottom of your car.. :lol:

DSCN0375.jpg

:bawl: I miss my car..

Another member had the same problem of a dealership not honoring the recall, so he called the district brass, they chewed out the dealer. He literally had the dealership in the palm of his hands after he made that call.