stronger axles

SilverZ

I need some axle's that can withstand about 340-350 horsies for my 94 z-34. stock ones are crap with this horse so just looking for a fairly easy switch...thanks

well the motor is still going to be the 3.4l but built from the ground up...port, polish, bore and stroke, all manifolds bored out, transmission will be 3.73 fdr with a b&m shift kit. external oil & tranny cooler. new radiator, custom turbo manifold running a t4 turbo.... custom limited slip...and upgraded torque converter and custom ram air from under front bumper....im sure im missing a few things but thats the gist of it...

motor: $3,050 installed

tranny: $2,000 w/ torque converter & shift kit

custom limited slip: $575

manifolds: $150 w/ the motor work

custom turbo setup: $3,500 with custom turbo manifold

custom Ram Air setup: about $100 Junk yard parts...

Build the motor first. Show me an LQ1 dyno slip that says 375 hp & I'll get you a link to this place that gives away axles like that freeipods.com site

That ram air will do a lot of good for the turbo... :roll:

So I'm going to go ahead and say this is never gonna happen. You MIGHT get the turbo on, but all that other stuff, no way. So go ahead and prove me wrong, I'd love to see it, but I doubt its gonna happen. So let me quench your desires:

How much are you going to bore it?

What are you doing with your oiling system?

What are you doing to the heads to withstand boost?

What about the internals?

I may talk a lot of shit, but at least I do my research before a post like that.

look buddy the guy before asked what I had in mind for my car so thats what I have in mind...if I had that much money right now I'd probably buy something else the bore will be .060" over w/84mm stroke......

but this is all stuff I've gotten prices for....I already built the ram air but it's not going in until I know it will fit with everything else....and for the heads when the build my motor they are taking special care of that don't worry.

I'm not worried, I just wanted to know, as I think if done right, the information should be shared to the entire forum, for those of us who have the money, tools, and knowledge needed to turbo this motor, as turbo heads are very different from n/a heads.

What Aaron is trying to say is that a lot of people "talk the talk before, walking the walk" on here. Sure anyone one of us can come on here and be like I got a big dick, and next week my turbo 3.4 is coming out of the garage. But he's right you can't make a blunt statement like that.

the only blunt statement i made was asking a question about axles.... I have a family so I do things in stages.... but I collect all the needed information first because if I do part of it and go through axles among other things and can't find stronger ones then its a waste of time.... so yes the motor and tranny are in the works but the turbo setup their going to be taking my car for about a month so they can do that.... I work now as a teacher but all year so I can't work on it nearly as fast nor can I give up my car right now for a couple weeks at a time.... and if all this works together like it's suppose to it will be put on here for thos who want the information and stats for the quarter mile.... so get off my ass I'm no different then other people that want to beef up their cars but it all takes money....

Silver,

I'll tell you but one thing... If you're going to do the turbo thing, and all the associated R&D since it doesn't look like this has been done before... do yourself a HUGE favor... GET A BEATER CAR to drive while you're messing with your Z!!! A spare car makes EVERYTHING work out more smoothly... you don't have to worry about having to cut corners to get it back together faster, you hit a few bumps in the road, it's cool because you have a spare to roll in anyway, etc...

Also, with the amount of money you will have in this car, you might not want to put all of your commuting miles on it with this stuff done to it anyway...

Of course, it's my opinion that everybody should have a spare beater car because even newer cars go in for service (or are down in other ways) every once in awhile... Like when my wife slid her car off the road and bent a control arm, there was snow on the roads, so I couldn't ride either of my motorcycles, so she ended up driving my car and I drove the spare while I was fixing her car...

The moral of the story is, an old, beater spare car saves you a BUNCH of headaches when you REALLY need a car and your main car is down... It's not AS big a help if you pay people to work on your car because older cars generally require more work than new cars, but if you do everything yourself (like you probably do if you're talking about taking this job on), the parts are cheap, you just need to do the work...

Mike

thanks i appreciate the advice and yeah I will end up buying a beater cuz my original plan consists of doing alot of it myself. but what can you do i'll just wait a little longer and get me a beater....

GET A BEATER CAR to drive while you're messing with your Z!!!

No no, get a beater TRUCK. They're really handy, especially if you're a DIY'er. You can haul transmissions and whole engines in 'em. I was never a truck guy, but after getting mine I will never be without one.

Correct Gnat... I too am looking for a beater truck to replace the 'bonne as my spare, but it needs to not cost a bunch more than I can get out of the '87 'bonne, so I'll be looking for awhile I think :wink:

Mike

I wouldn't worry about axles. Unless you're running slicks, you shouldn't have any problems with the axles. Wheelspin will be a HUGE problem with the setup you're looking at. A LSD is not necessary. I will soon be building my engine, and possibly redoing my turbo setup. If anybody on here wants to do a group buy on pistons/rods, I might be up for it.

Tim

I wouldn't worry about axles. Unless you're running slicks, you shouldn't have any problems with the axles. Wheelspin will be a HUGE problem with the setup you're looking at. A LSD is not necessary. I will soon be building my engine, and possibly redoing my turbo setup. If anybody on here wants to do a group buy on pistons/rods, I might be up for it.

Tim

KickinZ ripped apart his drive axles, with a n/a motor, onyl major mod sbeing headers. And I raped him at the track, so it can happen.

We have a beater truck, but it's a '90 Ford Ranger, so I don't think I'll be hauling engines with that anytime soon. :lol:

why wouldn't you be able to haul an engine with a compact pickup?

btw, i'm custom fabbing a turbo-supercharger setup for my 2.8, like piston-engined planes used to use :wink:

btw, i'm custom fabbing a turbo-supercharger setup for my 2.8

Why? What is the point of using both a supercahrger and a turbo? In my opinion, you'd be better off just saving your money, and putting it toaward a a single, high efficient unit. Cheaper, easier to tune, and more power as well.

Also, why are you using just a 2.8? Why not use a 3400?

btw, i'm custom fabbing a turbo-supercharger setup for my 2.8

Why? What is the point of using both a supercahrger and a turbo? In my opinion, you'd be better off just saving your money, and putting it toaward a a single, high efficient unit. Cheaper, easier to tune, and more power as well.

Also, why are you using just a 2.8? Why not use a 3400?

i was joking, making fun of the author of this thread.

the only performance mods this 2.8 will ever see is Super Tech oil